2012 Idaho Turkey

MuleyCrazed

Dec 28, 2012
I know, it's not a big game animal, but I wasn't sure exactly where to post it. I will say though, hunting big toms in the spring is almost as cool as hunting rutting bulls in the fall. The challenge of calling them in close enough to shoot is awesome! I always compare turkey hunting to early season elk hunting. Good times!

Nice... Another animal I want to hunt. 

We just don't get many opportunities here in Nevada.  Too many people not enough game.  Draw for everything.  I think I'm averaging a muley tag every 3-4 years.  Probably only get 1 elk tag in a lifetime.  Maybe 2 or 3 antellope tags... 

Just not a great place for somebody that likes to hunt every year.

My usual turkey area suddenly had a major decline in population several years ago while at the same time I began discovering lots of wolf scat and elk kills during the winter.  Coincidence--I don't know?  Previously, I called in coyotes so those predators did not wipe out the turkey flock.  This was an area near Idaho City, and one in which my family took 3 gobblers from in one year and 3 years later, I never heard a gobble and saw only one hen for a full season of hunting.  Pretty disappointing.  I would love to find another area that lends itself to day hunting on public land.

dplumlee12 said:
Nice... Another animal I want to hunt. 

We just don't get many opportunities here in Nevada.  Too many people not enough game.  Draw for everything.  I think I'm averaging a muley tag every 3-4 years.  Probably only get 1 elk tag in a lifetime.  Maybe 2 or 3 antellope tags... 

Just not a great place for somebody that likes to hunt every year.

Yeah, that's one thing I love about Idaho. You can hunt every year without worrying about whether you'll draw a tag or not just to hunt. I can see some of the advantages to the point systems, but overall I like the way Idaho has it set up for now. Could we manage game a little better in Idaho through a point system? Maybe...but that's a whole different topic.  :D

RockyMountainHi said:
My usual turkey area suddenly had a major decline in population several years ago while at the same time I began discovering lots of wolf scat and elk kills during the winter.  Coincidence--I don't know?  Previously, I called in coyotes so those predators did not wipe out the turkey flock.  This was an area near Idaho City, and one in which my family took 3 gobblers from in one year and 3 years later, I never heard a gobble and saw only one hen for a full season of hunting.  Pretty disappointing.  I would love to find another area that lends itself to day hunting on public land.

I could see wolves dispersing the turkey in a given area if they were in there a lot. It could be hunting pressure, more activity in the area, etc. Hard to say, but yeah that is disappointing when your hunting spots don't produce like they used to.

We hunt up in north-central Idaho mostly for turkey. We've done pretty well the past few years. This turkey I shot while hunting solo on the second to last day of the season. It was a last minute ditch effort and it paid off.

MuleyCrazed said:
RockyMountainHi said:

I could see wolves dispersing the turkey in a given area if they were in there a lot. It could be hunting pressure, more activity in the area, etc. Hard to say, but yeah that is disappointing when your hunting spotsdon't produce like they used to.

We hunt up in north-central Idaho mostly for turkey. We've done pretty well the past few years. This turkey I shot while hunting solo on the second to last day of the season. It was a last minute ditch effort and it paid off.

I just haven't had the time to scout a new area and I seem to always see them on private property.  Them are smart birds!

Nice turkey, Ive only killed one here in washington. It was a fun hunt. I just dont take the time to hunt them like I should . West side birds are tough with the thick vegetation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back