2021 Hunt Update Thread

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
Here is the 2021 Update Thread. Use this thread as a place to check in and to post updates as to how things are going in your hunt. Heading out? On the road? Made it to camp and have cell service? Hearing bugles? Got one down? Let us know! It's a great way for those who aren't currently in the woods to live vicariously through you!

Well got to the area I am hunting today. It has had a recent burn, ughh. Sitting high on a hill glassing other valleys to try to find elk. Oh, and don?t get me started on the amount of people out here

We hunted the 8th through 13th. Got on elk a couple of times but never got a shot. The elk were silent in both cases. It was HOT, which I am thinking had something to do with the elk being so quiet.

cohunter14 said:
We hunted the 8th through 13th. Got on elk a couple of times but never got a shot. The elk were silent in both cases. It was HOT, which I am thinking had something to do with the elk being so quiet.

Yeah they have not talked at all in area 161. Saw one of the largest mule deer bucks of my life at ten yards. Moose everywhere, but hardly any signs of elk. Enjoying being up here but tired after 7 days. I have another week lol, hopefully something pans out.

A little late on this, but we hunted the 8th through the 13th. It was HOT! Got on a couple different herds of elk, but nothing was vocal at all. My guess is that was due to the heat, but that's just a guess. These seemed to be unpressured elk. We found them in areas with no hunting pressure at all, so I don't think they should have been call shy. Anyway, no luck in filling the tag. On to rifle season!

Jason Balazs said:
Well got to the area I am hunting today. It has had a recent burn, ughh. Sitting high on a hill glassing other valleys to try to find elk. Oh, and don?t get me started on the amount of people out here
You must be hunting where I am. Most people I have ever seen in archery season.
I can get elk to talk almost every time out but no luck getting them to come in or really respond after initial bugles. They just push there cows away as soon as I get a response. I've tried locating them and moving in closer with similar results. I think they are feeling the additional hunter pressure.

All of the areas I hunt are closed to motorized vehicles but I have seen gate violations almost every day. And I don't know why I'm not doing the same. There appears to be 0 enforcement of the road closures.

I located an area with 5 active wallows and waterholes tucked into some thick timber all within 300 yards of each other. One of the herds I've been hunting seems to be using the area so if I don't have any luck in the morning I may sit there quietly in the evenings. Our season ends soon. 4 days left and I have to work one of them.

ribo451 said:
Jason Balazs said:
You must be hunting where I am. Most people I have ever seen in archery season.
I can get elk to talk almost every time out but no luck getting them to come in or really respond after initial bugles. They just push there cows away as soon as I get a response. I've tried locating them and moving in closer with similar results. I think they are feeling the additional hunter pressure.

All of the areas I hunt are closed to motorized vehicles but I have seen gate violations almost every day. And I don't know why I'm not doing the same. There appears to be 0 enforcement of the road closures.

I located an area with 5 active wallows and waterholes tucked into some thick timber all within 300 yards of each other. One of the herds I've been hunting seems to be using the area so if I don't have any luck in the morning I may sit there quietly in the evenings. Our season ends soon. 4 days left and I have to work one of them.

At least you're still getting on them. Good luck these last few days Ribo!

So we were filming a hunt in Colorado unit 70. Sept 12-24. Here is what we encountered.
Very hot weather, Full moon, lots of cattle and a pretty good bit of hunters. We also encountered about 15 ELK ACTIVIST in our unit. They moved around a lot "camping" in the unit. We saw 4 elk ( cows and a spike ). IN unit 71 below us the elk were moving more and stayed low. Lots of guys saying they saw great elk and even some kills in our camping area. SO, we learned a lot this go.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 7
ELK Activists? That's a new one, I'd call CPW and report them right away, pretty sure that it's not legal for them to interfere with your hunt in the field.

Elk Noob said:
ELK Activists? That's a new one, I'd call CPW and report them right away, pretty sure that it's not legal for them to interfere with your hunt in the field.

This right here for sure. Report them!!

Just returned from area 161, which is burnt and looks like Hiroshima after the nuke went off. Saw thousands of nice box and antelope and moose but no elk not even one elk turd or anything 14 days hunting. Next year I am doing a drop camp

Jason Balazs said:
Just returned from area 161, which is burnt and looks like Hiroshima after the nuke went off. Saw thousands of nice box and antelope and moose but no elk not even one elk turd or anything 14 days hunting. Next year I am doing a drop camp

I'm guessing you were hunting independence mountain? 

Sure was. Have not been there in over 15 years and it was my last back up for the season. Well, it was not like I remember

Sounds like a tough time Jason. I am counting down. Will be leaving NC to go home to Colorado next Friday. Will pick up my travel trailer from the storage yard and drive out to GMU 3 for my yearly commune with the wapati. Hard to stay focused when counting down to elk season??..

Rdub said:
Sounds like a tough time Jason. I am counting down. Will be leaving NC to go home to Colorado next Friday. Will pick up my travel trailer from the storage yard and drive out to GMU 3 for my yearly commune with the wapati. Hard to stay focused when counting down to elk season??..

Good luck Randy! Keep us posted on how it goes.

4x4 bull hard pack back to quad. Done!!

Attachments

• 45CDD316-38B8-4E9F-A571-1A865AB4AED8.jpeg
    45CDD316-38B8-4E9F-A571-1A865AB4AED8.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 28
Other quarters

Attachments

• 4C68B270-4BA9-44CF-A618-7BB272B3EB70.jpeg
    4C68B270-4BA9-44CF-A618-7BB272B3EB70.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 23

Members online

No members online now.