Are they bugling?? Colorado?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Heading to northern Colorado this weekend. Couple local Colorado friends are not hearing any bugle activity.

Anyone hearing anything yet?

Nothing where I am hunting. I?m over by Basalt and the woods are quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted from opening day to 9/3 and didn?t hear a bugle but watched a herd for a long time the evening of 9/2 and the bull was routinely scent checking the cows. Never made a peep though. Going back out this weekend and into next week to see if anything has heated up. This was on the western slope.

I was in unit 16 and didn't hear anything the first 2 weeks. Actually I take that back, I heard a small alarm Bugle/Grunt but that was about it. Very quiet.

Had a very small, barely legal, bull come in kind of close on some cow calls, but other than that it's quiet.

Thanks guys, may be a slow start this year. Heading out at 5:30 in the morning. I'll try to keep some activity reports on my hunt.

Thanks Jvanhoy......hoping this is my year but my son is going for the first time so if opportunity comes he gets first shot.

Hope you all have good luck!

nclonghunter said:
Thanks Jvanhoy......hoping this is my year but my son is going for the first time so if opportunity comes he gets first shot.

Hope you all have good luck!
We are in northern Colorado now scouting out a few areas for mz season. Stayed in a spike camp last night and didn?t hear a thing. Called a small bull that can silent a couple days ago. Very dry! Good luck

I just got back from Southern CO yesterday.  We had a hard time finding bulls.  Had 2 drainage's that held a couple bulls and they were start up about 7pm every night.  Were able to call a few in but not get them on the ground.  We had to cover a lot of ground to find a few bulls that would talk late.  Nothing in the morning or throughout the day.  Best of luck.

Got i. Close to a bull and he responded to a locate bugle. Very weak response but kept playing him and he came in. Picture in 2018 meat pole. Only bull we have heard and he?s not saying mich now.. 8)
Will be trying to fill a couple other tags now.

Not much last 2 days but this morning was like a switch was flipped. Huge 7x7 screaming while herding up cows but wouldn't slow down for a shot. After seeing him, I passed on 2 smaller satellites - hope that wasn't a mistake. None of the bulls would come to cow calls.

Using rifle this season so should have an opportunity this weekend I hope. Very warm during the days - low 80s but mid 30s in morning.

Was stalked by 2 coyotes in the dark this morning but that's a whole new topic.

Hey Phil. I did get a chance at the herd bull this morning.....but had already shot one of the satellite bulls!!

colorado russ said:
Hey Phil. I did get a chance at the herd bull this morning.....but had already shot one of the satellite bulls!!

That sounds a lot like what would happen to me!!!😁😁 But ya got meat for the freezer...

Oh, he's no dink... just not quite as big as the other but I wasnt sure he was with the group so took the lead bull. Broken off g5 on one side so he was a fighter. Now he's dinner and I am forever grateful.

colorado russ said:
Oh, he's no dink... just not quite as big as the other but I wasnt sure he was with the group so took the lead bull. Broken off g5 on one side so he was a fighter. Now he's dinner and I am forever grateful.

:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Heading back out tonight, hoping that they've started bugling. They're bugling like crazy near Denver, so I have a feeling the Rut is finally starting to hit. Hopefully it's the same in the mountains.

Just left north central area of Colorado. They are bugling pretty good. It?s still smoking hot during the day but expected to cool some this weekend. Should just get better!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back