Are you a 1 pack or2 pack guy?

randle

Feb 19, 2014
I have been hunting elk for quite some time and have usually been a 2 pack guy, day hunt pack , then when I kill an elk I process it and go back to the truck or camp for a pack frame. this year I am  thinking ofchanging to 1  pack. Pack frame with day pack attached.
How about you?

This year I bought a small frame pack to hunt with and still will have my big pack at camp. I like how a frame pack stays off your back and don't sweat me as bad. If (no when) I kill I'll be able to at least take a small load out with me.

I am neither yet, but I am almost certainly sold on the Eberlestock F1 and F2 combo for the versatility you describe.

Thats my $.02 worth, which is a ripoff!
I'm just interested in seeing what others have to say on this.

2-pack guy! But I pack in a few miles n stay for over a week, so I need both packs for gear anyways.

1 pack guy here! The Exo 3500 is my choice. It compresses down to a day pack really well and then you can shed the bag and use the load panel to turn it into a hauler going back for meat.

Im a 4 pack guy , a day pack for the normal needs, in my day pack I have a meat bag that turns into  a pack with  shoulder  straps so I can take the first load with me than in the truck i have 2 frame packs one for me and one for my buddy so I don't have to do all the work  ;D

One pack, I made a 8 mile round trip to camp/truck to switch out the packs once. Once was enough for me.

I was a 2 pack guy for years until I started using the Eberlestock J34-Just one.  If I'm going on a day hunt or a 5 day backpacking hunt this pack has me covered. 

I was a 2 pack guy - Until I bought my EXO. Now I sold off my daypack, going to sell my smaller scouting pack and am not going to look back. Makes things much easier.

I'm going back to two packs this year.  I'm using the Tenzing 1250 during my hunt and will go get the frame pack when I need it. 

I've the Horn Hunter Full Curl in the past and it works well.  I just don't like having a rigid pack on while I am hunting.  There are many good options out there.  Just choose what works best for your style of hunting.

I was a 2 pack guy forever too. This year I'm following Corey's lead, and got a EXO Mountain Gear 3500 pack locked and loaded. Last year when we would kill, we would make one trip between 3 guys. My day pack just wouldn't hold as much meat as the Exo (so I felt like a jerk for carrying less meat)and was not nearly as comfortable with half the amount of weight. Look forward to getting it bloody!

Flying Forester said:
Jakec20.  Any idea how the J34 compares to the J107?  Thats been my second choice. Is it just a matter of size?

As far as I know the J107 is just a little bit bigger due to the removable pouch on the top.  The J34 is plenty big enough for me. My hunting partner and I both have one, he killed a spike bull about 4 miles in. Boned out we were able to get it out in one trip.

Ive been a 2 pack guy or 1 pack and then 1 pack string.. haha
I have looked at options that have a smaller pack that is capable of a meat haul and switching bags on.. Everyone seems to like the intermediate size packs though..

I'm just getting started good, but two packs for me.

A day pack to get me away from camp and a pack frame left at camp to haul out the heavy load.

I am a 2 pack guy, sometimes I even rotate a 3rd in there with my little tenzing 1250.

I carry a Tenzing pack for a day pack. Last year when my buddy put his elk down we quartered and deboned. My buddy carries a Tenzing also. We both took a back strap and a front shoulder, but he had to carry the rack and I got both bows. Dropped the meat and packs at the truck and got the heavy frame meat haulers. We went back and carried the remaining meat out. Also got our trekking poles for the second heavy load. We were a little over two miles across the mountain from the truck.

I would not go back the first trip without carrying part of the meat.

Good Luck hunting!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back