Arizona 6A Late Archery - First Elk Hunt

gwidger

Apr 7, 2020
So, I drew my first elk tag this year, for AZ 6a late archery, Nov. 20-26th. Really was not expecting to draw an AZ tag for quite a few years, so I am beyond excited to have drawn this and experience my first time chasing elk!

I will be going DIY, as I am planning to hunt elk for many, many years into the future (currently 25 y/o) and am looking at this as more of a long term investment and learning experience, and won't be considering it a failed trip by any means coming home empty handed.

Looking to see if anybody is familiar with the unit and willing to give any general advice. Will be traveling from Michigan, so unfortunately will not be able to do any boots on the ground scouting and will be glued to OnX maps. Google Earth, and good ol' forums. I am certainly not looking for coordinates/honey holes, just general information or areas to possibly check out or focus on.

As of now, planning to focus on the major canyon systems throughout the unit and glass/spot n' stalk. I'm aware that they will be very rugged - but are they relatively accessible/navigable by foot? I've got no problem busting my ass if it means a chance at a bull...

Any and all advice welcome - thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the tag! I've never been fortunate to hunt AZ so can't help you out there, but hopefully someone here has. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back