Arrow weight with short draw length

Apr 20, 2020
How does everyone get the heavier arrows with short drawn lengths?  I am shooting maxima reds 250 27.5 in long they come in right around 375 grains. I?m shouting the Hoyt rx4 28? draw and 70#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spcfoor said:
How does everyone get the heavier arrows with short drawn lengths?  I am shooting maxima reds 250 27.5 in long they come in right around 375 grains. I?m shouting the Hoyt rx4 28? draw and 70#

Hey Spcfoor,

There are a few different ways I know to get heavier but they all would require some drastic changes.. go to a heavier arrow, or heavier broad head. You can try weighed knocks as well. If you want to get to a big increase it will probably take moving to a heavier arrow. Also, if you get new arrows, you can go at least another 1? in length as well.

I?d like to learn a bit more about what weight you want to get to and why? Also, what?s your current broad head weight?

I shoot a 27? draw 27.5? arrow 100 gr tip maximas. 70# bow tech destroyer 340.

This will be my first time elk hunting and everything I read says 400 grains and up. I am also going to be using 100 grain four blade muzzys

I wouldn?t call myself an expert by any means but I think you will be fine. So here are my experiences with a set up fairly compatible to yours I hunt mostly whitetail and never had an issue and have shot my fair share of shoulder blades.

I?ve shot two elk with my set up as well one double lung clean pass through at 15 yards , one double lung then punched throw the opposite shoulder blade at 40 yards. They didn?t go far I Watched both perish. My set up runs just under 400 gr. With a 100 slick trick 4 blade.

Practice and make a good shot. Heavier would be ideal but I wouldn?t loose sleep over it.

Also, measure your arrow speed, then calculate your kinetic energy. Mine is about 74 ft lbs for reference.

Best of luck, shoot straight.

Agree with Nate.  A little heavier would be great, but confidence and accuracy are more important than a few grains on the arrow. 

I've killed a few elk with the Easton Axis weighing in at a total of 400-405 grains with a wrap, standard nock, Bohning blazer vanes and a 100 grain broadhead.  The only thing I have different is I shoot a cut on contact broadhead after switching up from Muzzy and Slick Tricks.  Taken elk with all three broadheads with no issues or recovery problems. Personal preference to be able to touch up the sharpness on the blades.

Using a Hoyt Charger with a 27" draw at 65#.

Good luck

I would say if you're draw weight is 70 lbs, regardless of draw length, I would recommend around a 400-450 grain arrow.  Having said that, I never want to be that guy that says..."you need to do this or you're silly".  I think a lot of folks focus more on arrow weight, FOC, arrow diameter, broadheads, etc.  In the end, if it shoots great out of your bow and you're confident and accurate...then you'll have no trouble getting elk in the freezer (beyond the inherent difficulties archery brings).  I use to focus way too much on arrow weight and FOC, shooting over 600 grains, and then I slowly transitioned to a lighter and flatter shooting arrow that allowed for more minor errors in my ranging of elk.  This resulted in better accuracy in dynamically changing hunting scenarios and more dead elk.  Modern bows are so efficient and fast compared to the old bows I started out hunting with, you can achieve a clean pass through on an elk with good shot placement with arrow weights you're currently using.  Just my 2 cents.

For a simple way to add weight you can try putting trimmer line for a weed whacker inside your arrow shaft. I've tried it before and it definitely works. A number of guys on here use that. It's an easy way to experiment, that's for sure.

Thank you all for your responses.  I am going to play around with my arrows and add some trimmer line and see what I can do with that.  Again thanks for helping out a newbie. 

i reccomend first of all, that you read the ed ashby studies on the grizzlystik website. im no expert, but i can tell you that you will regret shooting light arrows at elk. i shot 422 at 60 lbs. at 24 yards, and had a big problem. it should have been double lung and complete pass through. I got one lung and about 12 inches of penetration. After talking to todd smith at grizzlystik, and having done my own research have come to these conclusions: dont trust the archery shops to set you up with an elk arrow. most have not killed an elk and will sell you what most people buy. secondly, use momentum(.57 or as close as possible at impact.) not KE as a gauge. and finally run arrows that have a minimum weight of 490 grains. after talking to randy yow, can tell you that 500 grains at 70 pounds is gaurunteed to work. i am running 565 grains at 70 lbs. with a single bevel two blade broadhead at 19% foc this year. for those who wish to run numbers, here are my sources: 1728 energy calculator(velocity), best crossbow source: ballistics calculator(momentum/ke at x distance), and gold tips foc calculator.

Well after much consideration and having two of my existing arrow break(my fault), I went and bought a dozen easton fmj 340 5mm.  my weight now is 420 grains with a  12% foc

Spcfoor said:
Well after much consideration and having two of my existing arrow break(my fault), I went and bought a dozen easton fmj 350 5mm.  my weight now is 420 grains with a  12% foc
Awesome! Good luck this fall! Let us know how it goes!

rock n roll bud! you are shooting 20 fps faster than i was last year, and have 3% better foc. that being said, i will say this: keep your longest shot to 40 yards. i would like to see an ideal shot be under 30 with that setup. rib bones are not your friend with that setup. make sure you run a solid 2 blade for maximum penetration and clearance around ribs. have fun!

elk sicario said:
rock n roll bud! you are shooting 20 fps faster than i was last year, and have 3% better foc. that being said, i will say this: keep your longest shot to 40 yards. i would like to see an ideal shot be under 30 with that setup. rib bones are not your friend with that setup. make sure you run a solid 2 blade for maximum penetration and clearance around ribs. have fun!
I don?t know how I figured 420 grains. It?s more like 488 grains.

Another thing that will help with penetration is to go to a two blade bh.  One of the guys in our group has a similar dl and started shooting two blade stingers.  After seeing the results (penetration, penetration, penetration!) we all use them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back