Backpack hunting tent/tarp?

arik1

Dec 13, 2018
Planning a hunt in Idaho, early September archery. Will have a Basecamp at the truck, and bivvy/backpack hunt 2-3 days at a time. I'm torn between a 1P tent, mainly the idea of having a floor, or just getting an ultralight tarp and setting up with trekking poles, branches, etc. I have a 2P Cabela's Dash Duo tent that I love, but at 5 lbs, I don't love it THAT much. I'd like to go as light as possible. At 5'6 and 145 lbs, I'd rather not haul a 40+ pound pack around. Anyone have suggestions on what to look at?

Wanting to have a floor is going to up the weight by 1lb+

Extra space in a spike camp is nice for gear - have you thought about where you're going to stash your bow while you sleep?
[Mice love to chew on strings/cables if left on the ground]

Check out steepandcheap.com for some great deals on tents/gear

Never thought about mice! Guess I better find a place to hang it haha. I will check that site out. Also been thinking about a diy teepee style tarp. We'll see how ambitious I am in the coming months.

I also did this gear modification to my tent fly for a larger footprint

https://youtu.be/0Bac1RNQhM0

There's lots of options to do what you need/want to fit your needs

That modification might be just what I need. I'll have to look at my tent and see if it will work like that.

I saw someone made an X with straps (sewn in center) and put eye grommets on the ends for the poles to go into. He also added the male buckle to it so the fly could snap into it. It worked with his tent. I have the Kelty Salida 2P and plan to make one for it.

Watch some of the "What's in My Pack" videos on you tube. The different people talk about what they carry for when/what they are hunting. Might be some good info there for you.

Lightheart gear solong 6 tent, or just their single person one.

I'm 6'3" and use the solong on hunts, and have a Duo for the wife and I on backpack trips. Huge front vestibule and a decent one on the rear. Weighs in at around 27oz. Zpacks cuben fiber tent is a bit lighter, but I love my lightheart gear tents. They are seriously amazing.

With a tarp, one risks the potential of flooding your tent by rainstorms and soaking your gear. This is not perfectly avoided by a floor, however mitigated. If your gear is such that it dries quickly and risking getting wet isn?t a big deal, then a tarp may save weight and satisfy minimalist desires.

I'm in the exact boat as you. I decided to ditch the tent this upcoming season and floorless.

Goodluck!

I have a small biv that weighs around 2lb. I plan on doing a tarp over it for gear and some room to sit. I have not put the method to full use yet.

Check out Tarp Tent https://www.tarptent.com/

I have a Stratospire2...trekking pole setup that weighs 44 ounces with the stuff sacks.  Sleeps three...two comfortabley with double vestibules.  I hunt with a partner, so that weight works nice for two.  They have single tarp options as well.

The Tarp Tent site has some good info on picking a camp site and avoiding condensation as well.

f16woody said:
Check out Tarp Tent https://www.tarptent.com/

I have a Stratospire2...trekking pole setup that weighs 44 ounces with the stuff sacks.  Sleeps three...two comfortabley with double vestibules.  I hunt with a partner, so that weight works nice for two.  They have single tarp options as well.

The Tarp Tent site has some good info on picking a camp site and avoiding condensation as well.

I've been looking at the Tarp tent website.  Pretty nice looking tents and much more affordable than others on the market.  Which begs the question of quality and how well it stands up to the environments.  Have you had your Stratospire in bad rains or crazy winds? If so what were your thoughts about how it performed?  Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back