best bow?

pro's and con's using high end or bargain bows?

• Hoytt?

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Mathews?

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • PSE?

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Bear?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clayman56

Mar 31, 2018
I know speed and accuracy is everything with a bow but is someone going to be more or less successful depending on which bow they use? if there is a 6pt bull at 55 yards is the guy with the top of the line Hoytt going to be more successful then the guy with the $300.00 PSE? I feel some guys and gals get discouraged if there not using the same bows that Cameron Haynes and Eva Shockey are using. what is everyone else's experience or thoughts on this?

I don?t believe someone else is going to be more or less successful because of the bow they use.  I like razing people who shoot stuff other than Mathews, but it?s only in good fun.  Hoyts, primes, etc are all killer bows.

I shoot a used 2011 Mathews and it kills elk as dead as they need to be ;)

You can be successful with whatever is in your budget. People kill elk with recurves every year. That said IMO you can tell a big difference in a top of the line bow vs a lower end bow. It's like anything else you get what you pay for but of course you can kill without dropping 1000 bucks on one.

jvanhoy said:
You can be successful with whatever is in your budget. People kill elk with recurves every year. That said IMO you can tell a big difference in a top of the line bow vs a lower end bow. It's like anything else you get what you pay for but of course you can kill without dropping 1000 bucks on one.

jvanhoy,
Check your PMs and the Sitka winner thread...

Guarantee the elk or deer has no idea what your bow cost or whether it?s a top of the line or price point bow. It?s all about the shooter being comfortable with his equipment. If you look at the ASA results in Foley, AL a PSE rep one his class with one of PSE?s price point bows. He has a few of their 2018 top of the line target bows and felt comfortable shooting what he shot best.

Shoot a few bows and see what you like and feels comfortable to you. Get with your local pro shop and make sure you know what your actual draw length is. For years I thought I was a 28? draw. Ended up talking with a local pro shop and he actually measured me and had me at 28.5?. It changed my shooting. Look for last years bow at a huge discount on price.

My $400 2013 PSE has killed 5 elk, and they didnt know how much it cost

The 'best bow' is one that fits your budget, shoot well with it and have confidence when it matters.

I killed more deer (no elk) with my old factory direct Pearson recurve 46#... The only of the above I've used was an old Bear Whitetail Hunter and have used several other Pearson bows... My last was an older Martin that I can't remember it's name... Gave I too my youngest son several years ago when I had to stop bow hunting.. All of them worked just fine and killed what they shot at most of the time... The times they didn't was operator error...

Any properly tuned bow will shoot better than you can, no matter the cost. A 2012 Elite Answer is my go to bow.

The most important part of any bow you pick is that it has to fit you, the draw length must be correct for the person who shoots it. A great deal on a bow that is not correct draw length is not a great deal. My advice is go to a pro shop and get fit by them, most will have not only new bows but quality used ones as well

I am lucky that I get to review just about every bow that comes out each year. Elite has always really been great through and through.

However, like everyone says, you have to be comfortable shooting the bow in your hand.

Speed is less important than accuracy. Cheers

Couldn't agree more with what the others have said. Shoot as many as you can. I've shot bows that I really liked but didn't feel right when shooting them so my shop set up another of the same bow and it felt perfect so I bought that one.

in my history:  mathews..i had a Mathews Switchback XT that was magical.  i could find a lost arrow at the range and hit a far shot.  (it is very un-intimidating to shoot an arrow you didnt spend money on at the 80 yard target)  it would plunk in right where my arrows are..whatever spine!!  whatever head weight..that thing was pure MAGIC.

like a fool i sold it.  for a cursed Mathews Z7,,hahahhaha..

i am still trying to find the magic folks..still.

you NEVER forget your first..hehe

The best bow for me is the one I own. I invested in my hoyt maxxis years back and have never needed another one. Not one to chase the latest tech, I guess.

Years and years ago, I had a Bear White Tail. Never did get any good with it and we parted. I didn't get back to bow hunting until about7 years ago. I bought a Redhead bow from Bass Pro. It was a closeout on a discontinued bow. Kind of a frankenbow. Part Hoyt and Bowtech I think. It worked great for me. Having never shot a "better" bow I didn't know better. This year I decided that I needed an upgrade. I went to the bow shop and shot several including Mathews and Hoyt. I actually liked a Hoyt Powermax. It just felt better when I shot it. I liken it to fly rods. You can catch fish with a lower end rod but can tell the difference.
Kind of like optics though. Never look through glass you can't afford. Haha

87TT said:
I liken it to fly rods. You can catch fish with a lower end rod but can tell the difference.
Kind of like optics though. Never look through glass you can't afford. Haha

So true 87TT! And welcome to the site!  :welcome:

I use a 14 Diamond Outlaw which is the only ?stock? item. I can keep up with the new bow shooters just fine in my opinion.  If I do upgrade a bow it will be to a Mathews or Hoyt. I?m not that technical of a guy to care what an extra 15 FPS is going to matter.  I Shoot a certain arrow weight and a certain FPS that will hit like a freight train.  But at the upgrade point it would be for the feel of it shooting, comfort, and, don?t judge me, look of it.  I mean all of them now are pretty awesome lookin which comes last. Shoot, it could look like whatever as long as it kills what I Shoot at I don?t care.

I love my Elite Impulse that I bought a couple years ago and wouldn't trade if for anything. With that being said the bow I had before that was a 2004 Parker HunterMag and I killed more animals than I can count with that thing. Whatever it is just make you can hit with it and use good sharp broadheads (3 blade muzzy's).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back