Best Frame to Just Haul Meat?

Bradfield

Sep 27, 2019
I was originally planning on a bivy pack (leaning towards exo 4800), but now that I've decided that I'm solo hunting (and therefore limiting how far I go from the truck), I'm planning on buying the Badlands 2200 as a day pack.  I figure if I'm successful I'll take the first load back to the truck and swap out packs for one specifically for hauling meat.

Most of the talk I see are about bivy packs that haul meat and gear, but what meat hauling frames should I consider if I'm wanting one for the sole purpose of hauling meat?

As another idea, you could look at the Mystery Ranch Mule. I just got one of those this year and have been very impressed. A very lightweight pack and you can haul out whatever you want with it. Might be worth spending a little bit more and only having to worry about one pack instead of a pack and a separate frame. In addition, if you ever change your mind and want to bivy, you already have the Mystery Ranch frame and just need to buy a larger bag.

I have a badlands 2200 pack and I hate it...I?ll sell it to ya cheap, maybe it will work better for you...that Exo frame by itself is amazing for hauling meat...I have the Exo 3500 pack it?s better than anything I?ve ever used...buy that pack and then you have a better day pack than that POS Badlands pack and a better pack frame than most of those rigid frames.

MT Elk Hunter said:
I have a badlands 2200 pack and I hate it...I?ll sell it to ya cheap, maybe it will work better for you...that Exo frame by itself is amazing for hauling meat...I have the Exo 3500 pack it?s better than anything I?ve ever used...buy that pack and then you have a better day pack than that POS Badlands pack and a better pack frame than most of those rigid frames.

What do you not like about the 2200? Imo it's one of the best day packs you can get that also has a meat shelf. I've hauled out quite a few animals with it and it carries the weight very well.

For my bigger hunts I use my outdoorsmans pack.

I didn?t realize how bad the Badlands pack was until I bought my Exo pack. The Badlands 2200 is really uncomfortable. There is no ventilation in the back area at all so it?s really hot. It is not adjustable at all, which really matters when hauling heavy loads. The shoulder straps and waist belt are kinda stiff/hard, not enough padding. I don?t think the Badlands pack hauls heavy loads (meat) well at all. I don?t like the meat shelf...it places the meat further away from your back, especially if you have other gear inside the pack. With the Exo, the meat packs tight to your back, much more comfortable and less chance of a back injury. The Exo also has a far superior frame design in general, it really does fit and move with your body. And I believe the 2 packs weigh roughly the same...so why not just always take the Exo? I?ve packed out elk with the 2200, and I got it done, but for the cost of the 2200 plus another designated pack frame for hauling meat, you could probably be close to buying and Exo pack that you could use for a day pack, backpack hunts, and just hauling meat.

With all that said, I do respect the fact that we all have different perspectives and preferences regarding gear. Just giving my 2 cents.

this >

MT Elk Hunter said:
I didn?t realize how bad the Badlands pack was until I bought my Exo pack. The Badlands 2200 is really uncomfortable. There is no ventilation in the back area at all so it?s really hot. It is not adjustable at all, which really matters when hauling heavy loads. The shoulder straps and waist belt are kinda stiff/hard, not enough padding. I don?t think the Badlands pack hauls heavy loads (meat) well at all. I don?t like the meat shelf...it places the meat further away from your back, especially if you have other gear inside the pack. With the Exo, the meat packs tight to your back, much more comfortable and less chance of a back injury. The Exo also has a far superior frame design in general, it really does fit and move with your body. And I believe the 2 packs weigh roughly the same...so why not just always take the Exo? I?ve packed out elk with the 2200, and I got it done, but for the cost of the 2200 plus another designated pack frame for hauling meat, you could probably be close to buying and Exo pack that you could use for a day pack, backpack hunts, and just hauling meat.

With all that said, I do respect the fact that we all have different perspectives and preferences regarding gear. Just giving my 2 cents.

If you dont want to take the pack on the Exo, you can get the meat hauler panel and just use that to haul the meat.

So I still like my Badlands 2200, but did just get a Stone Glacier Xcurve frame and man is that thing nice. Pricey, but I have never put on a pack that carried the weight better than the Xcurve frame did for me. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back