Best State for first time non-resident hunter

Bigrax82

Dec 28, 2012
I am from MN and looking to head west for an elk hunt. I have never gone elk hunting but I'm thinking about just going for it and see what happens. Which state would be the cheapest for an non resident? Which would be the best for hunting?

I know lots of people like it here in Colorado because of the easy of getting a tag.  Since you don't have any points, it wouldn't be a "high quality" type of area but with some research and work you can certainly find elk.  Not sure if you are looking for a bow hunt or rifle hunt but Colorado has lots of areas where you can simply buy the tag.  In general pricewise I know CO, WY and NM are similarly priced forbull tags and CO has cheaper prices for cow tags if you are mainly looking to score some meat.  I'm not real familiary with all the Western States but I do apply in several.  Each State will have very different rules and regs but I'm sure if you decide on where, you can learn the basic rules or post questions and you'll usually find someone that can answer it like on this forum!  Good luck where ever you choose but beware as you may become addicted!

Your odds of success will increase dramatically if you do some research.  First, check out the states you're considering-look up the prices for tags/licenses in the game regs, available online.  From there, I suggest investigating success rates per unit for the type of hunt you're planning.  Look at google earth to explore terrain and hone in on an area that would provide optimum conditions for elk habitat.  It may take more than one year to plan the hunt as you will need appropriate gear, conditioning, etc.  However, it will be worth it in the end.
Good luck!

Don't over look MT.  You will likely be able to purchase a left over tag if you do not draw a limited entry tag else where.  With plenty of public land to hunt and some great bulls, MT is one of my favorite states to hunt.

I was going to start this same thread but you beat me to it.  I checked montana and the prices were pretty steep.  Colorado is right around 500 for a tag and a benefit is you don't have to have a license but I have heard if you don't know where to go in Colorado you will probly see more hunters than elk and there is a lot of pressure.

Either Oregon or Idaho.  Both have great opportunity to buy OTC tags for Elk and if you willing to put in the time then you should be successful.

My buddies and I are planning  to archery hunt in CO this year.  Looking at GMU 62, 65, & 70.  I understand these are high pressure units, but they are OTC with supposedly decent populations of elk.  Since it will be our first hunt, we plan to camp at the truck rather than pack in.

Would love any suggestions we could get.  I don't expect anyone to give up their "ace place", but help narrowing things down would be great.

For going on your first hunt, either take someone with you or hookup with someone that has experience and do a drop camp hunt to get away from other hunters or go with a guide who can show you the ropes a little.

The cheaper way is to find a group you can join and learn from.

OH, and I would probably do Colorado just because of the number of elk there :)

I'm in the same boat,  looking for  an OTC state with a shot at actually getting an elk.  Leaning towards Id or Co.

Jason,
Are you saying MT has left over (either sex) general tags? Or Combo?
Im assuming you mean cow tags because I have heard they usually have a few left over since the increase in prices. It would be very convenient for me to hunt the Ft. Peck area (from North Dakota) with the left over cow tags, but im crossing my fingers hoping for a general and apply for the 798-15 or 410-15. I only have one season of elk hunting under my belt so any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm from MN to I have hunted both Colorado and Idaho the trips are almost the same cost when done but I like Idaho seems to be less people where I  hunt.

Double Lung said:
I'm from MN to I have hunted both Colorado and Idaho the trips are almost the same cost when done but I like Idaho seems to be less people where I  hunt.
[/q1uote]

Do you hunt with a guide? Or how did you find places to hunt?

Wow, lots of replies with great info for anybody IMO. I've hunted several of the Western states for elk and IMO where you are coming from MN I'd say Colorado would be your most cost effective adventure for a first timer. CO has the largest elk population of the western states and is the closest to you. They give you an OTC option of archery or second season rifle so they have a hunt for your weapon of preference. Idaho would be next in my opinion the Wyoming or Montana but travel is obviously many hours further than say Colorado. Just my 2 pesos. Whatever you do I'd say for sure GO FOR IT! There's nothing better than screaming bulls in September. You'll learn A LOT and have an incredible trip no doubt.

DP

Bigrax82 I was on one guided hunt in Colorado. I buy maps for the area I'm going to hunt then I call the biologist for the region talk to the game warden. Google earth and hunting forums any information I can get and then research. I look at my map and look for the center of nowhere and head for it. I also have a map chip for my gps its my best tool in my pack. I get off the trail the first chance I can.

All good info but don't forget the wolf factor states like Mt. and Id. have areas that have been hit very hard by wolves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back