Big White Dogs

WW

Mar 3, 2014
The main reason I pack a pistol is for protection from those big white sheep guard dogs. And some of the smaller stock dogs are just as bad at times. I'd sure hate to shoot someones dog. But figure if I kick up some dirt in front of them with my Glock 27, it might back them off.

Most guys seem to be worried about bears and lions. But guard dogs and two legged critters should be of greater concern!

I haven?t had to deal with many dogs yet, but definitely some questionable 2 legged creatures.

I don?t understand. The Great Pyrenees fog?  The one guarding the sheep? 

Those dogs are bad ass. Where I plink, one guards chickens. I go way around. No problems. That dog is all business.

Yep, Great Pyrenees and they're bad ass when you get within their perimeter!  Ran into a couple on a backpacking trip in the Flattops of NW CO.  Got too close to the sheep and here they came.  Wife was grabbing the 9mm from my pack as we backed up.  Got outside their comfort zone and they backed off.

On a positive note, if you do happen upon a herd of sheep, it's likely the sheep herder has been living up there with them for a while and will know where the elk/deer have been seen.  Got some great tips one year from a herder from Peru - we offered to take his mail into town to send to his family.  Downside is you need to speak Spanish!

wow.  scary
so the sheep farmers are grazing public lands?  i supposed under a lease..
anyways.  thanks for the tips.
and btw..i googled it.

has visto alg?n alce? = have you seen any elk?  :D

If I run into sheep herders I always make it a point to introduce myself and ask them about elk in the area. Last year I followed one as he came out on the road in front of me trailing 6 mules. About 300 yards behind them following their trail was a big black bear. I stopped by their camp and told them about the bear. Then I asked if they had seen any elk ( it?s elka ) in Spanish. They told me where they had seen some. I killed my bull in that area a few days later. The dogs can be bad news. They are raised with the sheep from the time they are puppies and beleave they are part of the herd. They are there for one thing protect the herd. They will kill wolves and cougars or anything else that threatens the herd. I avoid the dogs but the herders can be a great resource.

Heath

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back