Binos recommendation

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
this last January deer hunt made it clear to me that I need to upgrade my binos as my buddy and I were trying to spot deer in their beds. I really like the quality, price range and the warranty you get with Vortex. I have tried out the diamondback 10x42 and love them. I have not yet looked through the Crossfires. Same specs but costs less. Has anyone used the crossfires and have any feedback that can say if it?s as good as diamondbacks or not? Thank you all for any replies.

I borrowed the diamondbacks for a hunt last year and they were great except for some fogging when it was cold and humid at sunrise on a couple mornings. I would still recommend them, but I wouldn?t go a step down from them.
Also, you should start using a tripod with a bino adapter for that type of spotting. If you haven?t tried it you?ll be amazed how much more you can see when you?re not trying to hold the binos steady. Vortex sells the adapter that?ll work with most tripods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Vortex fog up on the inside, they are under warranty. That said, you should try some out. I bought some Crossfires years ago and it was such a step up from my older binos that I would never go back. I bought some Diamondbacks and gave the Crossfires to my wife. I actually think the Crossfires were a little better. The Diamondbacks are still great and I still use them. I just don't know if I lucked out with some really good Crossfires or so so Diamondbacks. Not sure there is that much difference until you make a bigger leap to the Razor or Viper.

Not sure what you?re looking for in price/size but I went with a pair of Vipers and love them. a pair can be had for around 400ish if you look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don?t forget companies like vortex, lueplod, and meopta gives you military discounts Aaron. I?m going to text you my opinion on binos in a few 👍

Diamondbacks are great binos. I haven't ever looked through Crossfires, so tough to tell you on that. The best thing to do IMO is to go check them out in person at a store. You can tell a lot by comparing that way. That led me to the Vipers. Diamonbacks are great, Vipers were that much better. Couldn't justify the price difference to jump up to the Razors.

If you are using the binos for deer hunting I would upgrade to the best you can afford.  The Diamondbacks are good binos but Vipers are great binos for the price they fall into.  If you are not 100% stuck on Vortex, the Maven C1 and Leupold BX2 and BX4 are great alternatives.  The better the glass the better you will be at picking out those deer antlers at distance.  Also, consider a tripod to mount the binos to.  It will change your life for spotting deer.  If you are hunting elk, I think the Diamondbacks would work great but I don't think I would go below them into the Crossfire.  I did a podcast with Paul Neess from Vortex last spring and he explains the different levels of Vortex glass and what they are best used for.

Backcountry Rookies Podcast

Anyone have an opinion on, Nikon?
I have been contemplating the EDG and the monarch 7
Currently running the diamondback set up without complaint. But not glassing beyond 300yds in WI.
I hear a ton about Viper etc...

But Ed glass nikon rep.....

I see Bushnell just came out with an ED glass bino south of $450. The only fan of Bushnell I have had is the price... However anyone on anything I have said. Comment away

I have the vortex diamondbacks and vipers .  Loved the vipers til I looked through my buddies' Swarovskis on an eastern Montana mule deer hunt. 
Needless to say, I've sold all the vortex I own and I am saving for swaros. Just my opinion, you get what you pay for. Damn I wish I'd never looked through those swaros....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back