Binos?

gthomas28

Jan 3, 2013
I plan on going archery elk hunting in NM this year.  I am looking to take any legal bull.  How important is taking a good set of binos if i am not trying to judge antlers?  I already feel like I have to carry too much gear.  Would the small binos make due?

I really think it depends on the type of terrain you will be hunting. I have some 8x32 that I always carry they worked well in one area we hunted, but another area they were inadequate for identifying elk across a valley 2-miles away, a spotter would have been better, My preference is for a good quality mid to compact size bino in 8x or 10x

I'm not sure what is legal in NM but if you cannot see smaller antlers with the naked eye at distances then I personally think binos are important.  I've also found you can see things while glassing that you just would not pickup with the naked eye.  Glassing makes you stop and pick apart the terrain which I've found over the years that it's better to take more time where you are at rather than simply trying to cover more ground.  So if weight is a big factor, there are many small binos that would be worth their weight in my opinion.

Personally I would take binos regardless of terrain. They save you a lot of leg work, and allow you to see an area much more clearly than with your naked eye.

I wouldn't bather with small binos. Even when we are looking for cows in very dance Forrest I use my 10x42. With small or inferior quality binos your eyes will tire quickly. You may as well leave them behind.  Just my .02

I don't know that I've ever said to myself..."man, I wish I would have left my binos in the truck"...or "sure wish these were only 4x insead of 10x".  Take the binos!...no matter what.  Maybe post what you already carry and members can help thin your pack on what is necessary and what isn't.

As COLOelkman stated they aren't just for judging.
I wouldn't personally go with a small set because of the lack of light collecting ability in early or late times of the day. To determine a binos ability to collect light divide the magnification number into the objective lens size. 7x42 binos would give you 6mm.
In low light the pupil will open to 5 mm so a bino with anything above 5mm  will collect more light than your eye allowing you to pick up more detail than with the naked eye. I carry Leupold 8x42 and my hunting partner is always asking me what I can see as we make our way up the mountain LOL. This year he is making the investment into a set.
As for weight my binos are only 22 oz. and I carry them with bino harness from cabelas and I don't even know they are there.

I always have Bino's with me. I actually cary 8x43 Zen ray ED2 . I went with the 8 power because of better crispness and better light gathering that 10 power Bino's. I love these Bino's. 10 powers are great , thats what I usually cary .

As others have stated, depends on terrain. Last year for 16 days in the CO backcountry I never had binos. No need for them.

I wouldn't skimp on these and go with the best that you can afford and always take them along.  Even in close quarters/heavy timber, I use them to look for "elk parts" and the higher ends will be clearer and gather light better than the lighter/cheaper options.  I have had a pair of Zeiss Victories for about 7 years and have never regretted the investment after so many inferior options.

I never go into the woods without my binoculars, if its hunting, scouting or whatever

I carry a pair of swarovski 8x32 every hunt i'm on,amazing what you spot before it spots you,use a harness and you'll never know your packing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back