bow mount video camera

jamase

Dec 28, 2012
I am looking into videoing my hunts this year.. can anyone recommend a good quality hat clip on or bow mount type video camera..  thanks

I use a Drift HD for my horse training videos and will be trying it on 2013 elk hunt. This is more of an action camera like the Go Pro. You can find some footage of each on Youtube.
They both offer different mounting devices.
KJ

as far as bow mounted cameras check your regs...in Oregon it's illegal  :'( .  I have the GoPro, it works great for about 30 yards.  I carried it around after I got my bull to film the rest of my hunting partner's hunts.  If you get it, make sure the shooter is wearing it.  I was stuck behind some cover calling and you can hear his shot but can't see the shot cuz the camera picked up the brush in front of me.  I didn't wear it on my bull because I didn't practice with it on my head and didn't want one more thing to worry about.  We'll see about next season though!

Here's footage I took with a Contour in 2011 in Wyoming. I had it mounted to my hat and the bull was at 43 yards. The footage comes out in full HD, but it's been compressed here to load to Youtube...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxsyg0PbNu0[/youtube]

I would have loved to have a camera on me a few years ago.  I called a little 2x3 into two yards.  He bugled and raked the bush I was standing behind.   

The Contour in action!  :)

44388_146484232048841_7397910_n.jpg

I haven't used the contours very much, but the GoPros can get great footage. I am really interested in checking out the new Hero 3 Black edition.

linds1007 said:
What about the glasses with the camera in them?Has anyone used those with success?

Hmmm? Where to begin? Lets just say that I wouldn't touch this product with a 10 foot pole.
If you would like more details please contact me.

ghost said:
linds1007 said:
What about the glasses with the camera in them?Has anyone used those with success?

Hmmm? Where to begin? Lets just say that I wouldn't touch this product with a 10 foot pole.

thats gotta be a joke

Mountain Bowhunter said:
ghost said:
linds1007 said:

thats gotta be a joke

Nah, not really a joke. The originals worked great. We had 3 S.W.A.T teams using them as well as several other law enforcement agencies. They worked great for shooting a gun, fishing and pretty much anything other than shooting a bow. Most people turn their head left or right depending if you are left or right handed. By turning your heard the camera would also turn away from the target since it was sitting above your nose.

The original company was going to address this issue by going to a wide angle lens but a new company took over and started making them in China without the wide angle lens.

yeah most people i have seen using a gopro head mount have the camera positioned just outside their left eye (right handed) and it provides a great angle for bow.  That's one reason I'm leaning toward gopro.  contour you have to mount on the side of your head

I do believe the GoPro has a wide angle lens. So I'm guessing you wouldn't have to mount it to one side or another.  Not sure though. Anyone?

ghost said:
I do believe the GoPro has a wide angle lens. So I'm guessing you wouldn't have to mount it to one side or another.  Not sure though. Anyone?

It has a 170 degree(i think) fov so it would probly capture it but all the action would be on the left side(right handed).  If you wear it over your left eye(or just outside) you get a cool shot that's pretty centered.  I have tried it with my iphone and a headband haha.

Ok well i think i got the info i need for the glasses and will keep looking due to we cant use bow mount cameras in oregon.

linds1007 said:
Ok well i think i got the info i need for the glasses and will keep looking due to we cant use bow mount cameras in oregon.

Look into the GoPro. You can mount them on your head with a strap which they make or a chest harness. Head mount would be my choice. Their hew Hero 3 just came out in three models, White, Silver and Black. The Black model is the most expensive with all the bells and whistles.  If you don't want to pay that much money, look up their previous model the Hero 2 on eBay. A lot of people are selling their Hero2 to by the Hero3.  The Hero2 is bigger and weights a little more but it is still a great camera.

ghost-
I'm still playing around with mine from christmas I'll have to let ya know. So far the depth percetion sucks but it takes good videos.

yeah the hero 2 is comparable to the hero 3 silver.  and for the price of the hero 3 white you can get the hero 2 outdoors edition with all the accessories

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back