Bowhunting elk-I think a whitetailer has one advantage....

Bowfreak

Aug 4, 2017
There are numerous things that the typical whitetail guy has going against him when he first starts trekking west to chase elk with a bow. Not being able to scout with boots on the ground or not knowing how you react when an 800 lb animal if blowing snot at you and screaming in your face. Not being able to spend a lot of time around elk is a big disadvantage (a few weeks a year max for an easterner). The way you really learn to hunt an animal is by actually spending time chasing them. Another disadvantage for may is that most easterners are shooting everything with their top pin. This list would get extremely long if we kept going I am sure.

But.....I do think that the eastern hunter does have one advantage though. I have seen this evolve in my own hunting career and that is the more stuff you kill with your bow, the easier it is to kill stuff with your bow. Don\'t get me wrong...I am sure many a whitetailer has crapped his pants when he has an encounter with a bull elk. What I am getting at is that many whitetail bowhunters have went through the process of putting their pin on an animal and executing a shot a LOT. It is not uncommon for people from high deer density states to shoot 4-10 deer a year with a bow and there is nothing that teaches you how to draw, how to execute as shot more than actually doing it. I realized this was something I needed to do early in my bowhunting career to get better. I would fall to pieces at the sight of a doe. It took many, many kills to get this somewhat under wraps. I still get extremely excited when a deer walks in but because I have shot many of them, I feel like I am killing whatever I draw back on. That doesn\'t mean I will never miss....it just means that I expect instead of hope to kill everything. I have always believed that to get good at killing deer with a bow you need to kill deer with a bow.

The reason I bring this up is that I was listening to the Meat Eater podcast and Chris Denham mentioned something that got me thinking about this. He said when he guided archery elk hunters that his favorite hunter was the whitetail guy. He said the first day they would be freaking out at all the bulls bugling and not really knowing what to do but he said within a day or so he would see them settle down and then normally at the moment of truth they were good to go because they had shot so many deer with their bows that they stayed sharp. He contrasted that with the western hunter that doesn\'t do OTC now and only puts in for limited draws. They finally draw their tag after 10 years and realize that their hunting skill had greatly diminished and they couldn\'t get it done because of that. I thought it was interesting that he said that and never really translated my original thought (shoot a bunch of deer to get good at shooting deer) into his thought which was killing a bunch of deer will actually help you kill other stuff too.

One never knows if he can keep it together on an elk until you try to keep it together on an elk but I do think that the repetition of keeping it together many times really helps seal the deal.

I understand what you are saying. On my 2 elk kills I simply ranged the elk drew and released the arrow. No nerves just a simple habit of performing the shot.

With that being said. I hope I am there when a certain someone shoots his first elk with a bow. He gets soooo excited when they are close. I think I will be just as happy as he will. :)

Great post!!!!!

One thing that I will say about this site is 80% of the archery guys are still using top pin or trying as hard as they can to use it.
Many of the other sites have the 100+ yard archery shooters, but on here I think a lot of people still enjoy the get in as close as possible method.

As someone new to archery, I have to agree with you Mark, although I have no experience to back it up (yet). This was actually suggested to me by another longtime archer as well. He said the best thing a bowhunter can do is take a bunch of deer so that during the heat of the moment, everything comes naturally, just like it did for Terry.

Mark and all: Great points. I agree 100%. I hunt with some guys that are killing machines. Others have excuses forever. Another advantage the Whitetail hunter has is, they learn patience. I don\'t care if you call, spot & stalk, or tree stand hunt; patience is essential for continuous success.

\"Swede\" said:
Another advantage the Whitetail hunter has is, they learn patience. I don\'t care if you call, spot & stalk, or tree stand hunt; patience is essential for continuous success.

Watching a 165\" buck bed down with a doe and breed her twice within 25 yards of your stand as you wait 45 minutes for the shot can try your patience.

Then that dang stick that you didn\'t see sends the arrow just over his back. :x

\"Swede\" said:
Mark and all: Great points. I agree 100%. I hunt with some guys that are killing machines. Others have excuses forever. Another advantage the Whitetail hunter has is, they learn patience. I don\'t care if you call, spot & stalk, or tree stand hunt; patience is essential for continuous success.

Yep, patience is needed in all types of hunting...

Why do you think I like archery hunting pronghorn in August? Gets the kinks worked out for elk!

Tick, you are right on. There is more than one way to prepare. If you can bring down a speed goat with an arrow, you should be ready to shoot elk. I believe one of the problems with elk hunters, when it comes to shooting, is they don\'t take the time to aim and properly release the arrow. Some also have a problem with follow through. A good friend talks of quitting archery hunting, because he jerks and looks up too soon, so he can see the arrow hit. The problem is that after jerking and looking all he see is the miss. I hope he can work through the problem as he is an excellent hunter, and has numerous archery elk trophies in his home.

I have taken some friends from MN out elk hunting.
They are really good WT archery hunters
What I first noticed with them is that they were either afraid to draw on an elk for being seen, or didnt know when to draw.

I remember one time I called a nice 5x5 in to a guy, and the elk was coming in fast.
The timber was open and I was whispering loud \"DRAW!! DRAW!!\"
He didnt draw because he thought the elk would see him and the elk went right on by.

I have found out that if the elk is moving, you can move too.

Once they figured out when to draw, the shooting part was easy

i agree with the op. my elk was just goin thru the emotions. where i lose it is when im with someone else and i want them to shoot. then i freak cause its out of my hands.

I never have a problem with the shot... :mg: :mg: But afterwards is a different story... :D :D Always has been and hope it never changes... :D :D

terry, you brought back that memory from Idaho..... my heart still sped up! 15 yards..... :dk:
I agree, I haven\'t killed anything with a bow since 96/7..... its been so long, I cant remember exactly when. and it shows!

putting the pins on an elk, after years of lining up on a whitetail..the size of the vitals has got to instill gobs of confidence.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
putting the pins on an elk, after years of lining up on a whitetail..the size of the vitals has got to instill gobs of confidence.

Its funny, because there is a bunch more air around the elk... :)

I don\'t know what your referring to when you say there is more air around an elk unless you mean they are bigger BUT shooting a elk is just like shooting anything else... If you don\'t pick a spot chances are you hit more air than elk...

Folks have asked me before why I kill so many ducks... My answer is I don\'t shoot AT um like most folks do, I shoot um in the head... ;) ;)

I can just throw up my gun and shoot... When I do the feathers fly but they are still attached to the duck... :D :D

How many of you that kill elk on a regular basis just shoot at um??????

Spot shooting is what kill critters no matter how big or how small.. :upthumb: :upthumb:

I guess I was trying to say that elk arent hard to hit, they just easy to miss !

\"cnelk\" said:
I guess I was trying to say that elk arent hard to hit, they just easy to miss !

I got it, Brad.

But actually, taking the joke further, you got it completely wrong.

Since elk live higher, usually above 8000\', there is LESS air around them.

Just try to breathe up there as you \"settle-in\" for a shot! :D

It\'s hard for me to breathe anywhere so does that mean everything I shoot has less air around it... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back