Bridger Wilderness

Deertick

Mar 2, 2014
Well, I\'m back from a great trip into the Bridger Wilderness in western WY ... not really a scouting trip (I\'m not sure I\'d want to be that far back in the woods and need to get an elk out), but more of a camping and \"September preparation\" trip. Here\'s a photo at the trailhead ... think there\'s enough gear to test on those guys?

Kind of embarrassing, actually, since we camped on the CDT (Continental Divide Trail) and saw quite a few ultra-lighters walking by. Using horses to carry things is like getting a big garage ... pretty soon, you\'re thinking \"Oh, why not?\" and adding all kinds of stuff that you \"might\" need ... you know, \"just in case.\" Meanwhile, some 20-something is walking his way to Canada from Mexico with about 20 pounds on his back.

Oh, well, it was nice to take chairs and some wine ... made the evenings more enjoyable.

Attachments

• Bridger Boundry.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Trailhead.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 243
The scenery in the Wind Rivers is outstanding ... Wife and I agreed that we had never seen anything better, with only Glacier National Park coming close. If you ever get the chance to get in there, go.

These kind of trips are great because they remind you that you don\'t know everything about what to bring and what to leave at home. It really sorted some things out for me -- things I should already know, but for some reason have to learn again and again.

For meals, we tried out some Mountain House (of course) as well as Wise Foods and Packit Gourmet. Packit Gourmet was the clear winner. A little more expensive, but it\'s not like we eat the stuff 365 days a year. Easy to prepare, and GREAT flavor. I think I heard about Packit Gourmet on this website, but I can\'t remember from whom. Well, I\'ll just say \"Thanks, Elkmentors\" because that stuff was good. Wise Foods also was great. The reading I\'d done said that they had a bit more salt than others, but salt can be diluted, I say, especially for the chili macaroni they make!

I also tried out my new Vortex 10x32 Talon HD binoculars, and was very pleased. They were light, bright, and small -- everything I need and more.

As for horse gear ... well, I confirmed that I need a new saddle pad, and I think I ended up buying a new set of panniers (since the ones I borrowed from my neighbor came back with a bit more \"wear\" than I would like to see in borrowed gear.) But more than that, I improved (I won\'t say \"perfected\") my diamond hitch, and learned more about balancing loads. I also learned that those two guys in the photo above are just about the best horses a guy could ever want.

Oh, and I learned a lot about how important a map can be. I learned that because I voluntarily left camp without one. Wife asked \"Do we have the map?\" I replied \"Nah, we\'re just going on a short ride, should be back in 2 hours.\" 7 hours later I climbed up some rocks and spotted camp about a mile away. At least she agrees with me that those experiences are only \"negative\" DURING the event ... afterward, they become \"positive\" and a reflection on good woodsmanship and general toughness.

I\'ve had to learn earlier in the year to \"Never leave camp without being able to build a fire\". More important: Never leave camp without being able to make potable water. Iodine tablets are always in my pack, and saved our butts that day!

More later ... need to get to supper.

Attachments

• Dream Lake.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Back at Rainbow Lake.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 242
looks like an incredible trip. gorgeous. an i agree, glacier np is the prettiest place i have ever seen, an that was 35years ago.

Amazingly (to me) we saw only ONE elk. No deer, no moose, no sheep (yep, we were up plenty high for that), and thankfully no bears.

I was really surprised by the lack of sign. The area looks like perfect summer habitat for calving ... open areas to get away from bugs, lots of grass, lots of water, lots of shelter, and no grazing sheep or cattle. Yet very little sign. A few tracks here and there. Not one pile of moose poop, though, and only a smattering (get it?) of elk poop.

So, I was surprised when we came across the only elk of the trip on the way out, about 100 yards from where we camped on night 1. It was a calf, killed almost right in the trail.

What do you think killed it? Before you answer, you should know that we heard coyotes on this hill in the early morning earlier in the week.)

Attachments

• Dead calf.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 225
I\'ve had this Kifaru 6-man tipi now since about 2009, and we really enjoy it. It is perfect for 2 people and a dog, but I got it back when I was doing more backpacking. I think if I did it again, I\'d get a larger one, like a 12-man, since weight isn\'t as big of an issue for me anymore. (I just don\'t backpack much anymore).

But overall, it\'s great. When the only \"storm\" of the trip came by one night, you could hear high winds knocking trees around, but the tipi barely shuttered. We didn\'t use the stove this trip, but last September, when it was really wet, the stove was a great way to attempt to dry out clothes and boots.

Inside the tipi, we added some cots this year. Wow! What an addition. Much improved sleep. My wife got me a thermarest cot for Christmas last year, and then we managed to get 2 old army cots from a friend who said \"Keep them\". Although the thermarest is lighter, and very comfortable, I think the army cots might be even more comfortable! Wife used that one for this trip, but I\'m going to try the army cot on my next scouting trip in a couple weeks.

The chairs were on sale for $20 and we couldn\'t resist them, though my son\'s horse sure wishes they would fold up a bit more ... he looked a little over-loaded with the big things sticking off of him. But wow, perfect camp chairs. Tilted back a bit, set your drink on the ground ...

Attachments

• Tipi and chairs.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 221
Last year, I switched from a backpack to a fanny pack with shoulder straps (the less-expensive Cabelas model) ... because I don\'t like the heat that builds up with a backpack.

It does keep the heat down, and it keeps me from bringing the kitchen sink along with me.

But, like all fanny packs I\'ve tried, it does have balance issues. I\'d never used it while riding this much, either, and it does not work well for that.

My remedies will be to unload it even more, and to use it for walking, not riding, as much as I can.

Attachments

• Crossing Middle Fork.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 219
Glad to hear you liked the Packit Gourmet. I had mentioned it. Yes, it is expensive. On a 10 day hunt, I start out with Mountain House and switch to Packit gourmet when I had enough of MH. I have the advantage of needing far less calories than you guys.

Did you try out a monocular? You had mentioned purchasing one. Tomorrow, I am stopping at Cabela\'s to use my gift card to purchase one. I will use it on next weekend\'s scouting trip.

Some great pics John!

Do you like using the Easy Boot on your horses?

I reviewed the pic of the calf elk. I didnt see any bite marks on the neck/throat so that rules out a cat.
Seeing how the elk was just left and the hind quarters partially eaten, my guess would be wolves.
They are notorious for killing, eating a little and moving on.

Seeing that pic is a good reminder that nature is cruel.
And humans are just a small factors in the grand scheme of things.

I thought it was you, mtnmutt!

You know, though, it\'s not a lot more expensive, but it is a lot more \"better\". Wise Foods, I think, is definitely better, too, just not to the degree of Packit Gourmet, and about the same cost as MH.

Monocular ... yes. I purchased a Vortex 10x36 monocular last year after elk season at Cabelas ... right around $100, I think. I love it. I now have the monocular and the 10x32 binoculars, and I think I\'ll use the former for elk, the latter for pronghorn. The monocular is bright, very light, and surprisingly easy to keep \"on target\" ... I was worried that it would shake too much. It might be a bit too unsteady for prolonged viewing, but for \"Hey, check out that tree -- is there something behind it?\", it\'s a great solution.

And really, that\'s what I use optics for most of the time. So much better than some big 30 ounce 8x42s or 10x42s. The monocular takes just one hand, and can be carried in a pocket.

They make an 8x26, I think, too, that sells for around $50. You know, I wonder if that isn\'t the best deal going in optics these days, especially considering that it carries the same warranty as the Vortex binoculars costing $1500.

Anyway, I took the new binoculars and the monocular out one night at camp and watched the sun going down ... now, I didn\'t have my bulky, heavy 8x42 Meoptas along to compare, but I think they were both plenty bright for those twilight uses that we often have.

For the value, I have no idea why the Vortex monoculars aren\'t more appreciated on the various hunting forums. You\'ll love it.

Cnelk ...

As for boots on horses, I\'ve been a pretty long-time proponent of them, particularly for backcountry uses, since I\'m not a farrier and even if I was, I don\'t think I want to bring heavy farrier equipment along with me if a shoe gets lost. (Now, I do have a friend who is a damn good farrier, and he and I would go round and round about this -- it\'s one of those things that is fun to argue about, but probably doesn\'t really matter.)

These geldings have ran 4 different 100-mile, 1-day races between them in EasyBoots, and more than 2000 miles overall in EasyBoots, so, yes, we have had an \"overall\" good experience. That said, I didn\'t do a good job with their feet on this trip. Although we found two iron horseshoes on the trip, we lost two of our plastic ones, too, and I didn\'t bring enough replacements, meaning the paint horse came out barefoot. He\'s got great feet, and so it wasn\'t a huge issue, but ... bad form on my part.

(Luckily, Wife also forgot some things, so it was \"even\" ... or else I\'d have heard more about that!)

Anyway, if any of you have questions about horse boots, let me know. They can work great, but you can\'t just pick them up and slap them on. There are tricks, and it takes someone with a genuine interest in horse feet to make them work well. I have no idea why, but I am one of those people.

As for the calf ... yep, I think it was either coyotes or wolves. I think a cat or bear would\'ve buried it, or moved it.

I got some First Lite Kanab pants on sale last winter.

Pros: They are lightweight, and they are wool, so they don\'t stink so much over time. They have suspenders, so they are not binding around the waist. No buttons or velcro on the pockets means quiet exchanges of gear. They\'re long enough that I don\'t look like a dork on a horse with pants riding up my calves.

Cons: A little on the weak side. After putting some miles on in the saddle, I had worn frayed holes in the medial portions of my calves where there was contact with the stirrup leathers. I won\'t be using these on horseback anymore. Also, they\'re expensive. Even on sale, they were at the upper end of what reasonable people would spend on a pair of pants. (I was feeling unreasonable on the day I bought them.)

Bottom line: If you come across a pair in your price range, grab them. Low-stink, comfortable, lightweight, quick-drying pants. The only thing I would change is I would get a non-camo version to wear in non-outdoorsy situations.

Attachments

• First Lite pants.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 212
Looks like a really nice trip and great pictures. I also used easy boots on the horses while hunting. I use to trim and shoe my horses and carried easy boots for emergencies (lost shoes).

John
Can you mention more about the Packit Gourmet food, and the Wise food?

Were the serving sizes correct as stated?

What was the cooking time?

Were they both \'add hot water\' meals ?

You mentioned the taste was good, what didnt you like about either of them?

One more thing... :)

If you ever think about upgrading that 6 man tipi, I would be interested in it

The 6-man ain\'t for sale ... yet! Maybe next year, though. The trouble with tipis is the footprint ... even the 6-man has a very large footprint. It\'s not a huge deal, but I\'m betting a 12-man makes it tough to find a place to \"land\". I do like the floorless design. Wife likes that we can have flowers in the \"tent\", too. Spills, dogs, boots ... it doesn\'t matter in there. But for now, I\'ve had too many expenses lately to think of upgrading ... (did I mention that I had to leave my \"new\" used car in Omaha a week ago, buy two 1-way flights back to Laramie, and now have to drive back and pick up my car after a hefty repair bill that could\'ve nearly paid for that 12-man?)

The good things ... it\'s pretty dang near bomb-proof in high winds ... it\'s floorless, as above ... the stove ... Ease of takedown (setup is a bit more involved but still easy). If I were backpacking, I\'d seriously look at the Sawtooth, but since I\'m not backpacking, I think a larger one might make a better base camp.

Anyway, it\'s good to know there\'s a market out there for it! I\'m casually looking at both the Kifaru and Seek Outside 12-man tipis.

The food ...

Packit had several selections ... most were \"add hot water\" meals, though some (the eggs) required a fry pan (and they supplied a little packet of vegetable oil). We got a \"snack\" of pico de gallo that we had with some tortillas we brought along ... a \"just add COLD water\"-deal ... I didn\'t think it would be \"worth it\" but it was like crack ... very good, tasted like fresh veggies with excellent flavor. We also took along their margarita mix which was a \"just add tequila\" offering. (We may have over-supplied the tequila, but I still thought it was excellent. Wife brought along a lime, and her horse actually ate it after it swam in a margarita for a while. I guess that\'s a sign that it was good!)

Overall, Packit sounds like they have a range of selections that go from \"just add water\" to \"I\'m a chef who likes to backpack\" ... we stuck toward the first one, and loved it. It was honestly the sort of thing where we\'d eat it and then wonder \"Is this really freeze-dried backpacking food?\"

Wise foods ... you had some of that, didn\'t you Cnelk? We had the pasta alfredo and the chili macaroni ... just add hot water. I thought it was better than Mountain House, for sure. (Part of that was that we were actually patient and let the stuff cook, which is a change for us, so your mileage may vary.)

I\'m going to look into MREs again ... I\'ve used them or similar things before, but didn\'t like the ones I got. I suspect that I didn\'t give them a fair shake, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back