Broadheads... mechanical? Or not for elk.

mxoran1

Mar 23, 2018
I currently use the fixed 100gr Montec G 5, and I hear a lot of talk about mechanical, has anyone used a mechanical broadheads on elk with success? If so please tell what you are using.. thanks

I would like to hear some responses on this topic as well! I?m planning on using the Rage hypodermic?s. I used to be anti rage because they didn?t have the solid ferrule but since the hypodermic came out I?m sold on these for whitetail but would like to hear from folks that have used them on elk

I was the same regarding rage, until I saw what they do to a whitetail..........haven't used anything else since........absolute destruction internally, with an incredible entry and exit wound. I'm running to Montana to try to stick my first elk, and plan on using them without the slightest bit of hesitation.

After several years of high numbers of wounded animals, the ranch I guide for went to fixed blade only. Last year, 13 wounded not recovered out of approximately 40 hunters. The common denominator were mechanicals.  This year, 100% recovered. I know they can kill but by their nature, they are risky when it comes to recovery and penetration.
Mechanicals are designed to do extensive damage internally. Yes they will kill elk and I would say that it's safe to conclude that most of those 13 elk probably died...somewhere...At some point. A lot of tracking problems come up with only one hole, especially if the arrow is still in and plugs up. Not to mention how far a bull can go on one lung...Some can even survive.They are big, strong animals.
Like I have said before, my number one goal for my hunters is two holes. A pass through in the boiler room solves a lot of possible problems.
So, when it comes to mechanicals and elk, I am not a fan.

My two cents-

For whitetail sure.  For elk fixed blade is where it?s at.  I know the blades will work and not have an issue.  I just don?t want to sound the animal or take a chance.  Fixed blades have come a long way and can do equal damage. I?m also not a fan of a huge cut diameter. But again just my two cents and my opinion.  Fixed blades I am taking a liking to the shuttle t lock and qad exodus. Both seem rock solid and fly great

No mechanical !!! I use muzzy mx3 and grizz tricks
With a 500 gr arrow at 300 FPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?ve used fixed, hybrid, and mechanicals on elk. If you?re not shooting a heavy arrow relatively fast I would stick with a fixed blade.  I think the most important thing for elk is a heavier arrow (450gr+) for penetration especially when using a mechanical. Mechanicals are a momentum sucker but can get the job done.  I?ll be using a fixed blade with a 500gr setup and hoping for a pass through this year.

brett8133 said:
No mechanical !!! I use muzzy mx3 and grizz tricks
With a 500 gr arrow at 300 FPS

What poundage are u shooting?

Haven?t taken an elk yet but I?ve seen mechanicals take some crazy deflections off ribs on whitetails so I went back to foxed blade montec  G5 and Strykers.

I use 100g Rage 2 Blade chisel tip. Shot a cow last year at 45 yards, had a complete pass through and she only went 50 yards. Awesome wound channel and great blood trail. Taken a few mule deer and antelope as well with similar results. Haven?t had a reason not to trust them yet.

I won't ever after seeing them and the lack of penetration on a Primos video (probably not the publicity they hoped for!). Shot was several inches back from the shoulder and I couldn't believe the lack of penetration with nothing but no possibilby of anything being hit other than a rib.  I'll seen if I can find it again.

https://youtu.be/i0t6HodUM8I
Shot is at 8:00.  Still amazed every time I see that.  I'm sure he has a short draw length and shoots a light arrow, but still I just shake my head.  Penetration is just too important!

My arrow weighs 493 and change. Shooting at 290fps its gonna hit like a Mack truck.  The kinetic energy is smashing!

murf45 said:
I?ve used fixed, hybrid, and mechanicals on elk. If you?re not shooting a heavy arrow relatively fast I would stick with a fixed blade.  I think the most important thing for elk is a heavier arrow (450gr+) for penetration especially when using a mechanical. Mechanicals are a momentum sucker but can get the job done.  I?ll be using a fixed blade with a 500gr setup and hoping for a pass through this year.

This is great advice. I use Rage SS (1.5 inch cut) and it is my broad head of choice. This after going through Montec, Striker, slick trick, ulmer edge.  My group tagged out with our bulls this year with this head. Personally I shot a cow and a 6 pt and had pass thrus on both. Love it. Conversely I had 2 blades brake with the 2 inch hypodermic on a little 6 in 2013 and would not recommend it.
Here are my rules for using mechanical on elk. 1 no less than 450 total arrow weight. 2 no less than 70 ft/lb ke. 3 no more than 1.5 inch cut.  Steep blade angles like the hypodermic won?t penetrate sufficiently. Hypodermic +p looks better, but shorter ferrules make for steeper blade angles.
Why did I switch to mechanical? I?ve had issues with blood trails and a couple failures. Results of all heads were dead elk but left something to be desired. I feel the Rage SS is made for elk. I will be packing it on my Gila hunt and New Mexico and expect 2 holes and a short heavy blood trail.

I don't like leaving anything to fate when it comes to a broadhead. Sure the odds are low that the blades won't open, but it happens. Why take the chance?

I know guys who only use rage exclusively and they kill elk. But they've also lost more wounded elk than anyone I know. And they're not the kind of dudes who punch their tag after one gets away with a rage in it's guts from a deflection.

I'm sure if you have a heavy arrow and your bow is set up for mechanicals with 60+lb draw and tuned for mechs you actually test they'll kill things. But if your dream bull walks out in front of you why would you leave anything to chance on that?

Seems that the dudes who I know that run mechanicals for elk don't actually tune their bows or set their arrows up for the heads they run. So the only thing they can get to fly straight is mechs. Dudley slays animals with mechanical, but he also tunes his bows perfectly for it.

Dyjack said:
I know guys who only use rage exclusively and they kill elk. But they've also lost more wounded elk than anyone I know. And they're not the kind of dudes who punch their tag after one gets away with a rage in it's guts from a deflection.

Seems that the dudes who I know that run mechanicals for elk don't actually tune their bows or set their arrows up for the heads they run. So the only thing they can get to fly straight is mechs. Dudley slays animals with mechanical, but he also tunes his bows perfectly for it.

Sorry bud, your painting with a pretty broad stroke here.  Everyone should tune, and both myself and my mechanical "dudes" I hunt with do the same.  And, we would notch our tags like everyone should on a paunch shot. 
The OP asked for experiences and my experiences have all been positive with Rage SS, and Ulmer Edge,  not Rage Hypodermic.  I also had 3 failures with fixed, so nothing is 100%. Fortunately (knock on wood) have never lost an elk.

I use mechanicals on whitetail and fixed on elk. I?ve never had a failure with a mechanical but it?s a peace of mind thing. My arrows range from 486-525 grains.

I think as long as you get you arrow north of 450 grains and are still getting decent speed you should be fine with mechanicals.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back