California Wildfire Smoke - Will it impact the rut?

Will the smoke from the California wildfires cause the timing of peak rut to change due to the sligh

• Yes, peak rut will occur later

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there is no evidence that daylight/darkness ratios impact rut timing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tronefj40

Aug 14, 2018
I'm interested to hear people's opinion on the impact that the California wildfire smoke has on the elk rut this year.  Much of the western United States is experiencing hazy skies and nightfall is prematurely arriving early each day.  Will this change the timing of the peak rut? 

This is just a WAG because I have zero experience with it, but I believe it wont change the elk rut activity this year.

DTP said:
This is just a WAG because I have zero experience with it, but I believe it wont change the elk rut activity this year.

I have to agree with this as well. Think of it this way: if an elk is in the woods versus in an open park when the sun goes down, that changes when it gets dark as well but shouldn't have an impact on the rut itself. At least that's my scientific way of looking at it  :lol:

Bowhunter1, I love that response!  I feel the same way, but was curious if people gave it much thought.  At least it is hippie, liberal, taxing lovin? Smoke. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back