Cleaning Skulls?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Most states are now requiring the skulls to be cleaned before transporting out of state kills into the state to prevent the spread of CWD. What process and tools are being used in camp for the process of cleaning. Puts a hunter in a bad spot if you kill an animal the last day of the hunt and you got to leave.

A guy told me that while I was in Colorado but, I couldn't find any literature on that. If so a person would have to boil the brain matter out.

I haven?t heard anything about that in Colorado. What state(s) have that requirement?

This is in effect for Ohio.  http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/diseases-in-wildlife
The details are listed under the "Chronic Wasting Disease (Deer)" tab.

nclonghunter said:
Most states are now requiring the skulls to be cleaned before transporting out of state kills into the state to prevent the spread of CWD. What process and tools are being used in camp for the process of cleaning. Puts a hunter in a bad spot if you kill an animal the last day of the hunt and you got to leave.

Typically, only deer, elk and moose apply to the CWD requirements. Pronghorn is exempt

In the field, skin head, remove lower jaw, and eyes. Remove anything else you can.
Then, on your way thru the next town that has a car wash, pressure wash the brain matter out and hose off any remaining loose stuff.

That should comply

Cnelk has it!!
Thats what I did with my bull when I left Utah and kept me in compliance. Had to toss in a extra couple bucks in the car wash to wash the brains off the floor when I was done  :)

Here's all the info for Colorado for anyone interested: http://cpw.state.co.us/cwd

I see nothing about transporting an animal out of state for Colorado. In addition, Colorado only requires testing on bucks at this time, no requirements for elk or moose although you can voluntarily have your animal tested if you want to for $25.

Here is NC new rules;

RALEIGH, N.C. (October 17, 2018)—The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission has implemented a new rule for 2018-2019 prohibiting the importation of whole deer carcasses and restricting importation of specific carcass parts from anywhere outside of North Carolina in an effort to prevent the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease(CWD), a transmissible fatal neurological disease affecting cervids, which includes deer, elk, moose and reindeer/caribou.The rule states that anyone transporting cervid carcass parts into North Carolina must follow processing and packaging regulations, which only allow the importation of:Meat that has been boned out such that no pieces or fragments of bone remain;Caped hides with no part of the skull or spinal column attached;Antlers, antlers attached to cleaned skull plates, or cleaned skulls free from meat, or brain tissue;Cleaned lower jawbone(s) with teeth or cleaned teeth; Finished taxidermy products and tanned hides.Additionally, all carcass part(s) or container of cervid meat or carcass parts must be labeled or identified with the:Name and address of individual importing carcass parts;State, Canadian province, or foreign country of origin;Date the cervid was killed; and Hunter’s license number, permit number, or equivalent identification from the state, Canadian province, or foreign country of origin.These new restrictions aim to prevent the infectious agent of CWD from contaminating new environments by way of disposal of carcass tissues, particularly those of the brain and spine, as CWD contaminants can persist in the soil for years.North Carolina is not the first state to implement such measures. Most states in the U.S. have some form of importation and/or exportation regulations for cervid carcasses and carcass parts. The number of states that have documented CWD continues to increase. Cases of CWD have been confirmed in 25 states and three Canadian provinces.

This is not a requirement for taking game out of state but bringing it into the state. I will be taking a washtub large enough to boil and clean the skull on elk. I also used the claws on a claw hammer to open the brain hole on my bull this year and the brains came right out. I had to borrow a turkey pot that was a bit small but was able to clean a lot of the skull. A pressure washer sounds like a great finish for cleaning one as long as its not breaking bones.

Skin the head, clean all meat off skull, remove eyes, remove lower jaw, boil skull, pressure wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back