cnelk's archery elk hunt - 2019

cnelk

Mar 23, 2017
This hunt started early in the year when I decided to use my PPs in Colorado and apply for a Limited Entry unit. I talked to my NonRes buddy and he also decided to put for the same unit.

We knew we were pretty much guaranteed the tag so it just waiting for the confirmation email from the CPW in late May.

Once that came, it was time to plan and prepare.

Since there was a ton of snowfall during the winter, any early scouting was delayed as the terrain was quite high in elevation.

I finally got to the area July 11 to do some scouting. I wasnt concerned with seeing any elk, I wanted to put boots on the ground and see some spots I had researched on GE

I wasnt disappointed in the scenery

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    946.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    892.7 KB · Views: 30
In the last photo above, there are 5 legal bulls near the trees - hard to see - but it was encouraging.

Also plenty of snow lingering at 12,000'

There were some atv roads that were available to cruise

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    787.4 KB · Views: 21
I spent a couple days poking around, just enough to go back home and put it all together on GE.

I then returned again in early August and hung a trail camera on a spot I had selected on GE

I hiked up to this meadow and really liked this area

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I didnt want to hunt the LE unit opening weekend, so I went to my OTC area with my B List cow tag for a short 3 day hunt.

It was pretty much uneventful, other than calling in a couple spikes, and a small forest fire that started a couple miles away.

The Forest Svc ordered a Helo for water drops and a couple air slurry attacks and it was quickly doused. Hot Shot crews showed up to clean up any remaining hot spots

Attachments

• 811E8079-75C6-4C47-80A1-A52722954E90.jpeg
    811E8079-75C6-4C47-80A1-A52722954E90.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
After Labor Day Weekend, it was only a couple days later I headed to the LE unit to start my hunt.

I arrived after work on Wednesday Sept 4th, set up my wall tent that evening and began the preparation for the next 10 days of hunting.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 20
Thursday morning, Sept 5, I rode my atv in the dark to the pre-determined spot I had chosen to hunt for the day.

The starting elevation was about 10,300' and the intent was to hunt up around 11,000'

I made my way in the pre-dawn light uphill.

About a 1/2 mile later, I selected a likely spot to set up and do a cold call, just to see what the temperament of the elk was.

Not 3 minutes later here comes a cow elk!

She even posed for a photo

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    960.5 KB · Views: 21
I spent most of the morning on that ridge, and then I dropped down to where I had placed my trail camera earlier on a scouting trip.

About that time, I heard a lazy bugle from across the valley. The wind was wrong to hunt that area, so I made a mental note of where it was and planned to hunt it soon.

The trail camera showed there were cow elk in the area - 'Bull Bait'!

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 17
As I was leaving that area, I came across a fresh rub. This was on the same side of the valley I had just heard the bugle....

Hmmm......

I went back to camp and had some lunch

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 19
Thursday evening was pretty uneventful, so I made my plan for Friday morning September 6th - the second morning of my hunt... and that was to go up where I heard the bugle the day before

Friday morning I woke to fog and mist. It had rained overnight. Everything was wet. Nice and quiet.

Again I rode my atv in the dark a couple miles up to where I started my hike up to 11,000'

The first thing I had to do was cross a small stream, and that meant willows. Lotsa willows. And that meant getting completely soaked.

I was so wet, I had to change my wet gloves as my hands were getting cold.

I made my way up the slope. It was pretty steep for 3/4 mile or so and then popped out on a small meadow.

I was at 11,000' - Perfect

Time was about 7am. I found a likely spot to set up and call.

I let out a slight bugle and a few seconds later a bull responded off to my right side, a few hundred yards away!

I didn?t like my spot so I adjusted a few yards and then let out a cow mew.

Immediate bugle response and he was closer

I had already decided that even tho this was a decent LE unit, if I had had a chance at a solid bull, I?d would take him.

I gave another bugle - this one a bit tougher

The bull cut me off and he was committed

He was coming from my right and entered the small clearing.

I immediately knew he was a shooter for me.

I drew.

He walked straight toward me. Closer. Closer.

He bugled in my face and turned mostly broadside, I settled my pin and Thwack!!!

A short video- https://youtu.be/UigqNkPmcB4

As I mentioned in the video above, I thought I heard the bull crash after 10mins or so but I still waited for my typical 45min before venturing over to where I last saw him...

Another short video - https://youtu.be/EXcuyAEQKaI

As I mentioned earlier, I was solo. It took me a couple hours to break him down and get the quarters ready for travel.

The first load I carried a front quarter, backstraps and loose meat - all that weighed 70lbs, plus the 20lb weight of my daypack, so that 90lbs sure made my toes curl going down 1000' in 3/4mi

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    523.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
It was about 11am by the time I got the first load back to camp. I sent out a few texts to some buddies, and was preparing to go back for a 2nd load when one of my friends said he was in the area and wold swing by to help get the elk off the mountain.

I readily agreed! Especially since my hunting buddy wasnt to arrive until late evening.

When my frind showed up to help pack, he even brought another buddy so in one trip went up and packed the rest of the bull off the mountain.

They each took a hind quarter and I took the other front quarter and the head - another 80lb pack

Attachments

• 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
As you can see, I use a Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 for a pack. That thing is a great tool!

We got everything back to camp about 6pm. Then it was time to relax and prepare for the next day's hunt with my buddy to help him fill his tag

Over the next few days, we called in spikes, cows, calves and bulls. We got busted and winded and just had a ball.

Attachments

• 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    657.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 18
I decided to take a trip home and bring my meat the processor.

Here is the entire bull - bone in - in 2 150qt coolers. Its tricky but they will fit

Attachments

• 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back