Colorado Draw Units 7,8,9,19,191

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
Looking into this draw unit for our 2020 elk season. I've only been able to get some basic information out of the CO hunt planners that i've talked to but i've requested some names for the Biologists in those areas so hopefully that will happen.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever hunted these units. I'm specifically wondering about access on units 19, 9 and 191. I know Rocky Mountain National Park takes up part of the south end of 19 and it looks to be quite a bit of private in 9 and 19. Anyone have any experience in these units?

Also, looking for overall thoughts, is it worth trying to draw this tag or is it better to just do over the counter and have access to all those units instead of being limited to just these units? I know the appeal would be having a limited amount of hunters but i'm a little hesitant to go this direction.

Thanks all and best of luck on your planning!

What season are you looking at going? You are correct that Unit 9 is basically all private. I don't have much experience with 19 or 191, but I have hunted Unit 8 quite a few years ago during rifle seasons. For a draw unit it definitely felt crowded back then.

I will be hunting during archery season. I'm also looking at unit 55 and 54 as they seem to have a lot more public land. I haven't dug in and researched those  yet though.

Straight up honest here for ya.

Those units just west of FoCo are tough archery elk hunting.
I have a good resident buddy that hunts them every year and he gets into elk but there are so many people and recreators that time of year it makes it tough.

When you look at elky spots on the map, so is everyone else.

Sure there are some good elk in them, but I drive right through those units and keep going when I go elk hunting.

Thanks for the responses. I had the impression that pressure/access was an issue in those units and this confirms some of that.

Any insight into units 55 or 54 from an access/pressure standpoint?

In my research i've noticed a lot of public lands in those units and it looks to be fairly roadless in parts as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back