Colorado Elk Bugle/Rut Report

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
Let others know if you are hearing bugles and rut activity....You could give some general geographic area for reference or the GMU.

Read a post on FB that said the bulls are hitting bushes and removing velvet, so they are getting started in Colorado.

It?s kind of hard to see the bull?s antlers in this pic, but he came by one of my cameras yesterday morning at 3am. I?m guessing he was getting the itch to start searching

Check out the temp!

Attachments

• 1DAFE4E4-F0C9-4CC1-AC49-FF10E1575A94.jpeg
    1DAFE4E4-F0C9-4CC1-AC49-FF10E1575A94.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 45
That Temp is awesome to see. I was up higher this past weekend and the bugs are out of control at tree line still.

Opening Morning 0530 - I was 1.5mi from the truck waiting for daylight at my usual spot

Just before 0600 I heard a bull 'UMMMMP'. I grabbed by bow and made my way another 300yds and let out a bugle. He immediately cut me off.

I cow called and he bugles again. I heard some cow mews [I had a cow tag] and got closer.

They were just on the other side of some regrowth uphill. I could hear hoofs. The thermals were perfect, but what I didnt realize there were more elk behind as I had split into the middle of a herd.

Well, the lower ones smelled me and the gig was up

I put 15 miles on over the weekend, called in some spikes [no cows with them] it was a great warm up for my LE hunt starting on Thursday

cnelk, That's exciting hunt for day one. Sounds like the bull may have already been mixing with the cows.

Do you think filling a cow tag with a bow is harder than a bull tag?

I think it definitely difficult to hunt cows as they arent going to bugle back at you, and they come in silent. But that fun too.

Saturday evening I set up and did some cow calling. I thought I was going to punch my tag when I saw 2 elk coming by.

But they were spikes and no cow with them. One of the spikes had really short antlers, barely saw them over the ears, but probably over 5 inches :)

Here is a short video of them coming by me at 25yds-

https://youtu.be/D9r3vk6sbR0

Hard to see any antlers at all in the video. But both were defineatly bulls. You can tell by the dark undersides :upthumb: on them.

Saw tons of hunters in our area but we went where they weren't and did hear some bugles. Thought one of us would fill a tag Mon morning but winds weren't cooperating. Heading back this weekend and have a plan of action.

Felt good to hike around a bit for the first real time since breaking my foot, put in 30 miles over the 3 days and foot held up. This should be a good year.

Heading out for my first elk hunt in a few days. Will be in GMU 20. Base camp at Coney Trail Head Flats. Hoping the weather cools a little? Plan to be there Sept. 6-14.
Certainly excited for this opportunity!

Hey everyone, sitting on top of the mountain first good cell service in a few days. Started hunting opening morning. North central CO. Little to no rutting or bugling, HOT close to 85 and warm nights.  We have seen quite a few individual elk and pairs of cows. Even with all that, we have taken 3 bulls off the mountain so far. More of that story to come when I?m off the mountain and have more phone battery :) good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Behindthehunter said:
Even with all that, we have taken 3 bulls off the mountain so far. More of that story to come when I?m off the mountain and have more phone battery :) good luck everyone!

Awesome!!! Can't wait to hear this story  :thewave:

Behindthehunter, Heck Yes, sounds like you guys are kicking some elk butt on the mountain!

You guys hunting public or private?

Itsaholaday said:
Heading out for my first elk hunt in a few days. Will be in GMU 20. Base camp at Coney Trail Head Flats. Hoping the weather cools a little? Plan to be there Sept. 6-14.
Certainly excited for this opportunity!
Just found out that the Coney Flats road has been closed as of yesterday for bridge repair. The entire planning for the trip has been torn up. Why would they wait until the beginning of the elk season to work on roads?

nclonghunter said:
Behindthehunter, Heck Yes, sounds like you guys are kicking some elk butt on the mountain!

You guys hunting public or private?

We hunt public land, OTC tag unit. We are lucky though, we access the public ground through private land so there isn?t many close access points.

Any one hearing any bugling I?m headed out there next Thursday and plan on hunting till the last day .still haven?t decided if I?m hunting unit 74 or 43 , I have buddy hunting in 74 for muzzleloader waiting to here how things are in there I hunted 43 2 yrs ago and liked it .

Opening weekend I heard a few bugles. Last weekend was quiet in my area. Others are reporting Bugles in CO though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back