Colorado-HOT and DRY ?

nclonghunter

Dec 28, 2012
This question is about Colorado but could apply to other states. Rumor has it that Colorado is Hot and Dry this fall. The DRY part is the most concerning to me. The grass fields have died and have been cut already. I am certain some farmers have watered the fields and some will still be of value. If water is low and grass fields are poor, what is the most likely result of elk movement???
I know elk can come from the top of a 10,000 foot mountain to get water from a river and return to the top by daylight but do they need water EVERY day? Will the large reservoirs up high be sufficient? If the grasses are dead, what is the most likely food source? Will they be scattered or bunched up near the water? Whats your thoughts or knowledge of elk habits in this HOT and DRY conditions?

I'm not in Colorado, but I would say that there's probably no shortage of water & feed up in those 10,000' mountains. If you plan to hunt the dry, cut fields below, maybe consider a move up into said mountains. However, I've never seen a mountain in the Rockies that doesn't have water all over the place, even in dry years.

Depends on where you're at.  I'm in Southern CO, 9,000 ft. Until recently we had a very dry winter and spring
The monsoons kicked in in late July and we are now about back to normal.  Its very green with plenty of water at elevation.
Other area up north are still dry but the higher elevations still have good water and food. 
Eastern plains in some areas are still very dry.

It rained pretty good here in Gunnison last night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Northern Colorado kicked my butt a couple weeks ago. We hunted in from three different trail heads before we found back country water to filter. Made for a miserable time as our focus became hunting for water instead elk. 24 miles on foot in three days was fairly brutal, oh, and it was 84 degrees on our hike in the first afternoon.

Just left Colorado. It was the driest I have seen it in 10 years. The main rivers had plenty of water but were low. Found several backcountry water holes and the bull I shot had dried mud on him. A creek drainage we hunted has always had water and it was bone dry and no elk sign there. Find the water and there will likely be elk near by, but my understanding is they can drink a lot at one time and go a couple days before needing more. The elk we found were up on the mountain. Good luck!!

Hunted CO in September and it was very dry and hot temps during mid-day. Every water source we found was being used regularly by the elk.

I absolutely noticed a shortage of food and water up high. All the grass had already died and elk moved to areas with better feed. Water was harder to come by but still plentiful. The lack of previous snow pack and summer rains changed the elk patterns significantly. I will definitely change my approach the next drought

Hunted Colorado about 2+1/2 weeks in September. Most waterholes that we found were dry and unused as well as open meadows were dry and grazed off. We found elk in dark timber or thick timber where shade kept grasses and forbs green. Also most of the creeks had running water so hunting water was not productive as water was readily available just not in water holes or wallows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back