Colorado unit 18 archery

rcb46

Mar 4, 2019
Fellas/gals, looking for general info on Colorado unit 18 for the last week of September. Never been in the are before. Some first hand Info would be appreciated. Thanks

There are a few spots to look at. Bowen gulch, gravel mountain, pony park, cabin creek, grouse mountain, east side of 128 just south of willow creek pass, devils canyon on the other side of monarch lake. That?s a lot to take in across the GMU. The elk will be where the elk will be. Pay attention there are many moose in this unit.

Thanks Rdub. Like so many others this will be my first hunting trip out west. I am mainly looking for an enjoyable and safe trip with a decent opportunity at some encounters. I am not looking for a trophy and a cow would make me just as happy.
I will not be overly disappointed if  I come home with empty coolers as long as the experience is there.

Would you suggest this area for those expectations?

There are elk there. Get away from people. 90% of hunters hunt within one mile of the road. 10% of all hunters take 90% of all animals. Get in, go deep, know where you are at. Most important of all have fun. Elk hunting is not easy hunting.

I was up that way a couple weeks ago and about plowed into 8 elk standing on the hwy about 930pm - very near where Rdub mentioned.

Thanks for the infor, especially those areas to check. Sounds like I have a great place to start scouting. So what can I expect as gas as elevations to start at and type of food source they will be on last of sept? Also I am not dead set on 18 but it looks like the closest Quality u it with good elk numbers. Thanks again

The elk wont move down until November, or when the hunting pressure gets too much.
Be prepared for LOTS of beetle kill, and company.

It can get a lot of pressure and there are some outfitters in the area. But, there's the opportunity to find that sweet spot between where the road hunters stop and where the outfitters start. Don't be afraid to get off the trails and go to the areas that are overlooked.
Also, everyone uses the last day of the season to drive home. If you can hunt it, you'll pretty much be by yourself.

I am looking at arriving the last couple days of ML season. I hope to use that time to acclimate to the altitude and check the area out. Does anyone know how to get info on where outfitters will be set up? is that something the local Wildlife Dept would have record of?

The outfitters are registered thru the Forest Service. Call the local office [Hot Sulphur Springs] and ask for the person in charge of the Special Use permits

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back