DIY Hunts

AJHURD

Dec 28, 2012
What do you spend on average for single DIY hunting trip? Do you buy the latest and greats gear every year? Or just update a few new items each year. I drive from Michigan to Colorado so fuel is my biggest cost. This year it cost us about 950.00 to make this 3000 mile round trip! Normally I try to get 4 or 5 people to go, so we can split the cost. I would have to say after buying a license, food, hunting gear and fuel I am at 1,300 dollars for a twelve day trip.

How about you what's your biggest cost?

Fuel is always going to be a high cost in any out of state hunt so that ranks up there for me as well especially my Kansas whitetail hunt. Another cost is renting of animals if you do not want to carry everything on your back. I have always used llamas but plan to use horses rented from an outfitter in Wyoming and/or Idaho the next couple years for elk.

We travel from Pennsylvania, so fuel is the second biggest expense split 4-ways about $325.00. License is the single largest expense, CO otc either sex.  food is not a lot, I am able to shop locally at thrift stores and such and plan my meals carefully for not too much money and pack them into daily meal packs that have breakfast-dinner. The related upgrades: sleeping bag, pad, boots, hunting clothes.. I don't upgrade every year and spread it out throughout the year. Elk hunting has changed the way I look at gifting holidays like Christmas and Fathers day. and outdoor purchases in general.

Amen Jim, I use birthdays and Christmas to update the items I need each year. I usually tell the wife I am buying something for myself and it usually is expensive enough to cover both the birthday and Christmas. This year is the bear rug the taxidermist just said was done and ready to pick up.

I'm always updating gear throughout the year.  Seems like every year I buy more new gear than I need, but hey, that's half the fun of this sport!  Always something new to put your hands on and try.  Fortunately I have plenty of area to plan some DIY hunts without traveling too far. 

If you were going solo then it may be cheaper to fly, but you then have to rent a car to leave set in the mountains for a week. The best value we have found  is to have 4 in a truck/suv

Cost for two from NC to Colorado has been between 1200 and 1500 each. These are rounded costs; tag is 600, gas 400 and food maybe 100. We may stay at a motel out and back to break up the drive. Buying food and drinks out and back and maybe a t-shirt or something for the family. This year was a processing fee at the butcher added in. We pull an enclosed trailer full of gear for a base camp.

I live in MI too, and I pull a 6' x 14' TA cargo trailer with all my gear, so gas mileage isn't great, for 2 of us to go to Montana for 2 weeks DIY, it is about $1,800.00 each, and $840.00 of that is for the Elk license.

Kevin

This years plans I'm estimating it to be anywhere from 1000 to 1500. Most of that going to the tag. This is the MT trip, if I don't get that it may cost more heading down to CO for an OTC.

The cost of an elk tag just keep going up and up for out of staters. I am afraid the in a couple of years I won't be able to afford a trip out west  :(

Colorado is the best deal going, they want us non-res hunters.
they even sent me 2 letters inviting me to come back Elk hunting because I hadn't been there in a couple of years.
That surprised me.

Kevin

Too much if youre asking my wife, but all I know is the memories are priceless!

I'm from Montana and hunt Montana so my biggest expense is time haha. But it is probably gas for me as well as everyone else.

MT_mulies said:
I'm from Montana and hunt Montana so my biggest expense is time haha. But it is probably gas for me as well as everyone else.

Gas was a real killer for me last year. I pull a 6' x 14 TA cargo trailer, and had about a 30 mph head wind all the way out, I usually get 11 to 12 MPG with the trailer on, but with the head wind, it dropped down to 7.6 MPG. that sucked  :(

Kevin

1200.00 to 1500.00 depending on if I shoot a elk about two hundred more for processing storage and dry ice.

yeah mines definitely gas, I live in Colorado and hunt here, but my 4cly Toyota is terrible on gas going over the mountain passes.

I live and hunt in Wyoming and gas is definitely my biggest expense. I enjoy the time all summer of scouting and then usually spend most of September just on the mountain other than having to go to town to re-stock my supplies!

I live and hunt in idaho and Diesel isnt cheap anymore.  So fuel is my biggest expense just like im sure its the same expense for everyone else.  I only spend about 800 in fuel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back