Eating Healthy

Bowtech Guardian

Dec 28, 2012
Ok so im changing my eating habits.  Im looking for guidance on healthy food that doesnt taste like crap.  Yes im educated on veggies, low carbs, chicken ect... Ive tried about every way to eat chicken but im looking for easy things to make that taste good and are healthy.  When I go grocery shopping its hard to think "outside the box" looking for advice.

What is your goal? Are you try to get into better shape, lose weight or both?
Try getting a Paleo diet cookbook.
Use youtube to look healthy meals.
I made spaghetti squash with a chicken alfredo suace tonight and its not to bad. The alfredo suace was made from scracth. I found the low fat alfredo sauce recipe on youtube.
I'm trying to remove pasta from my diet, so the spaghetti squash  worked great to supplement the pasta.. it tasted great.

Hope this helps.

Bubba said:
What is your goal? Are you try to get into better shape, lose weight or both?
Try getting a Paleo diet cookbook.
Use youtube to look healthy meals.
I made spaghetti squash with a chicken alfredo suace tonight and its not to bad. The alfredo suace was made from scracth. I found the low fat alfredo sauce recipe on youtube.
I'm trying to remove pasta from my diet, so the spaghetti squash  worked great to supplement the pasta.. it tasted great.

Hope this helps.

Right on Bubba. I wish more people would try Paleo. It has changed my life.

Im trying to lose weight as of now.  I want to get in shape as well.  I told myself I have to lose 12 lbs by eating better then Im getting gym membership.  I will check youtube sounds like a good resource.  Also a Paleo cook book as well.

Thanks guys

Travis

I am with you on loosing weight. I could afford to loose 20#.
I have been successful in the past shedding pounds by making a strong mental commitment.
For me I eat healthy most of the time, but my dinner portions seem to get too big. in the summer it is not so bad, but winter they acuumulate slowly due to inactivity. I have been seriously considering making that commitment again.
I have found in the past that about 10# a month is a realistic objective, but it takes some time to get the fire started. Carefully looking at everything I eat and the portions is the key for me.
I live in a rural area where the closest gym is 20+ miles away. I will have to do stationary bike and stair stepper that I have at home.
Good luck, it is really not that hard, it just takes a strong commitment.

Bowtech Guardian said:
Im trying to lose weight as of now.  I want to get in shape as well.  I told myself I have to lose 12 lbs by eating better then Im getting gym membership.  I will check youtube sounds like a good resource.  Also a Paleo cook book as well.

Thanks guys

Travis

Definitely watch your carbs then (bread,pasta, etc).  And certain health foods will trick you, for instance most people eat salad but salad really doesn't provide much nutritional value and with dressing and other things can come out to nearly as many calories as a piece of meat would have.  It's just empty calories.  And it is very difficult to lose weight just with a change in diet.  Ultimately, you have to burn more calories each day than you take in.  I looked into the paleo diet and I basically already eat it with a few dairy exceptions, which i am trying to cut out. probly the healthiest diet though as it's what we are designed to eat

Eating is only half the battle, but it is the harder half.  A few years ago I desired to be in better shape.  I started working out and trying to eat healthy, but like you I didnt know what was exactly healthy.  You can read one thing that says eat eggs every day, and another that says an egg will kill you.  My advice is to get a workout program that comes with a meal plan, then follow it.  P90X worked for me.  If you do the work and eat the food it tells you its foolproof.

FastPaleo is a great app if you have a smart phone. Tonight I'm cooking Sweet Potato Elk chili

1.5lb ground elk (Cook)
1 lb diced sweet potatoes
28 oz fire roasted tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 yellow onion
cumin
chili powder
salt
red peper

Slow cooker for 6 hrs
*it's so easy a cave man can do it*

we have been using www.myfitnesspal.com It is easy to use and it keeps track of your proteins,fats,carbs and calories and exercise workouts. I've been using it for 10 days now along with doing crossfit and I've lost 10 pounds. Still need to loose about 26 pounds but it is a start for a 55 year old.

I love chickpeas aka garbonzo beans!! you can roast them in the over with olive oil and chili powder, salt and pepper and they are a great low carb snack full of protien!! Also make delicious hummus!

Low carb and high protein is the way to go. ELk venison has 56 grams of protein for every 16 ounces! That cooked up with some veggies is amazing! I tell people to try and eat like a caveman..... Meat. Veggies. Water. Simple, but it works

Variety is also quite important, as well as keeping portion sizes down. It is better to eat more small meals all through the day than it is to eat just a couple big ones.

One chicken dish I like is really simple:

Fry slices of chicken breast with basil, salt, pepper and a little ginger.
mix with noodles , cut up tomatoes and some balsamic vinegar.

Changing out the spices makes for different flavors. For instance we also like cajun seasoning.

I just started eating paleo. I am using "Everyday Paleo" and "Practical Paleo" as my cookbooks.
They have some great recipes in there, and they are soeasy a caveman can do them.

Tons of good advice.
One of the other food choices is Lentils vs. potatoes and rice.  They are pretty bland tasting but are easily converted into a great soup with Elk Burger, tomatoes, celery, and some Wild Eats Controled Burn chili blend...
Another "Eating Healthy" plan is The Standard Process (find online).  Basically eat organic as possible!

I'm a believer that you get out what you put in.  Easier said than done but if you eat a balanced healthy diet you will perform better when you need it. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back