Electric Bikes?

82ndreddevil

Aug 17, 2017
Over at Sportsmen's Warehouse they the Rambo electric bike for sale. I have also seen some like items on the internet for less money. Most of them claim they can go 20 miles on a single charge which of course is dependent on weight of passenger and terrain. Initially it sounds like an awesome idea for archery hunting. But I am curious on  a few things and I am wondering if any of you out there have experience or first hand knowledge about these things? I know many people would prefer an ATV over an electric bike but IMO ATVs are loud and there are lots of places that I hunt where you are not supposed to take motorized vehicles. I just feel like something like this leaves a smaller and quieter footprint in the woods while bow hunting. Any and all feed back will be greatly appreciated!

Id always considered one for some of the whitetail public land areas I hunt. Then I could park in one spot, bike to another, and then enter.... kind of a physiological warfare thing. Diversion tactic  :tease:

The idea would be sweet for the mountains, I think you just need to be prepared to carry extra gear in. Extra battery, bike tubes, small pump, etc.

i'm an avid mountain biker.  occasionally some older dude will ride (uphill) past me like i'm standing still.  it is an E-bike.

i think it would be damn near perfect to use to get to a tree stand or something.

i dont know squat about solar charging or stuff like that, but there are some new (big$) bikes that can do better than 20 miles on a charge. 

I honestly had never even considered them until I saw the Born and Raised guys using them. I think in a certain area, they could work. I think if you weren't staying on a trail of some sort it could make for difficult travel, so really the only scenario I see that one would work would be a trail that's closed to motorized vehicles but allows electric bikes. I have no idea how electric bikes are classified when it comes to motorized vehicles, but it's probably worth checking before using one in a location like that.

If we are talking about a trail that also allows ATV's, I'd probably stick with trying to use an ATV simply because if it's open to them, chances are people will be driving them on the trail. And if others are using ATV's, you might as well do the same as it would make for much easier travel.

I do like Dan's whitetail idea though as well  :lol:

Thanks for the feedback guys. So one of my considerations is the fact that some areas I hunt have trails where no motorized vehicles are allowed, I assumed that a by I left would be fine. But yes it being electric actually makes it motorized as well so that is something to look as well. And yes I see how other people using ATVs in an area already make the noise that I?m trying to avoid making myself. I did borrow an ATV from a friend on a hunt once and I just thought it was a pain in the butt cause it requires a trailor and u got to strap it down going from place to place, having to Cary fuel cans etc. I just feel with this I can put it in the back of the truck and lock the shell and hook it up to the generator every night to recharge it. Another big plus is an ATV and trailor takes up a lot of room in the garage. I think I?m gonna give it a bit and see if the prices go down a little by more competitors entering the market. It?ll give more time for reviews to show which ones are good too. Unfortunately most of the DIY kits are for road bikes and not the more suitable for hunting bike like the Rambo.

I have a friend that had an electric Polaris Ranger UTV. It was real quiet and had plenty of power. However it got to the point where it would only take half a charge. And eventually none at all. Batteries were too expensive, so he got rid of it.

If you want something quiet, you might try one of those Ben's Silent Rider Mufflers on your ATV. They do help to quiet things down. But you will still hear a lot of gear and transmission noise. I put one on a Kawasiki 300 and it robbed me of power a bit so I sent it back for a refund. Now I have a 500 and have been thinking of trying it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back