Elk bugle

Clayman56

Mar 31, 2018
Anyone else have experience with elk in full rut that are call shy? Any advice would help. I'm great locating and challenging and meewing and estrus call. But I've run into a few herds that don't make a sound and just push through thick woods like a special forces recon team. What to do what to do???

Clayman56 said:
Anyone else have experience with elk in full rut that are call shy? Any advice would help. I'm great locating and challenging and meewing and estrus call. But I've run into a few herds that don't make a sound and just push through thick woods like a special forces recon team. What to do what to do???

Could be any number of reasons.  What is the wind doing?  Could be difficult to hear any responses if there's a sustained breeze (hello, Wyoming...).  A young bull could have cows and doesn't want to respond for fear of losing out to a more dominant bull.  An older bull who has been pressured by humans before and won't respond unless threatened.  Find out where they are bedding, watering, and feeding and get close. 

I?ve also had the experience that if they get quiet in the earlier part of the season, the Heard cows and bulls like to sneak in to see you rather than communicating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely have seen in heavy pressured areas.  Sometimes you just have to change your tactics and spot and stalk.

Man you guys are getting me pumped to get back out after them. I will be using all this great info to try and make my move on the "ghost herd"

Out west I carry my Ruger Alaskan 44 mag. I carry it here in Ohio too when bowhunting with 200 gr 44 special loads. We hunt in a real rual area with little or no cell reception.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back