elk hunting shape

hooter44

May 20, 2013
for all of you seasoned elk hunters what kind of physical shape would you all recommend me to be in to make my hunt more enjoyable and better chance for success I figure the better shape the better but I have to face the fact that I not a runner I cant run a half marathon like some people post on here can.  guess what I am asking is there a rule of thumb what I should be able to do for instance run a mile or hike 5 miles with 30lbs on my back  don't get me wrong I have been running  hills trying every thing to get my legs and my lungs in better shape for about a month but I still cant run a half marathon knees wont hold up. guess I am getting a little worried that I am going to be hurting when I get to Colorado.  If  you guys could shoot me some opinions I would appreciate it thanks Oh yea I am in low elevation down here in Texas

Hey Hooter, that is a big question with a ton of variables involved. The terrain you will hunt, how far you plan on going, base camp or bivy camp, guided hunt, DIY ??

I also live at about 800 feet above sea level in NC and have hunted Colorado for the last four  years. First year I was running 6-7 miles once a week and 2-3 miles every other day. Was doing a lot of cardio and weight lifting. My friend and I were ready when we went, but after getting up at 4 am and humping the MTN. for several days  we began to feel the effects. We carried a daypack and bows every day, plus water. We were all over the mountain that first year.The last 3 years we did not prepare as hard for several reasons, one being I broke my leg once and my buddy had knee surgery. This year my buddy ripped his knee out sking and again had surgery.  I have again been running 3-5 mile runs every other day and hiking with a 30 pound pack with plans to increase both. What I am trying to say is we havenot always been in top shape but we went and we hunted and have killed elk on public land doing it on our own. I will be 56 in a couple months and my buddy is 44, and we do fine. You do not have to run marathons but I would if I could, but I don't. It sounds to me like you will also be ready for the hunt as will my buddy and me....Good Luck and go for it, you won't be sorry.

I dont run, ever ,but I can hike up and over a mountain all day with out stopping and have no problem carrying out a 100 lbs pack for 4 or 5 miles. so I know what I can do and I hunt within my ability. what im saying is know what you can do and enjoy the hunt that you can do, there are no marathons to run when hunting but there is an 800 lbs elk down and you best be able to get it out with out killing your self or you are not going to have fun!!!  Its not about how fast or far you can go ,its about how far you can bring an elk back.

Interval training. In my opinion, marathon type training is fine for overall fitness/cardiovascular benefit but it doesn't realistically mimic hunting conditions  in the mountains

I've ran after elk a few times and I run every year to get into shape for elk hunting but I rarely ever really get to the point where I am breathing hard on an elk hunt. Unless it's hyperventilating from excitement. I wouldn't worry much about mile times. I would run some to get your lungs used to working and I would focus on the muscles you will use hunting elk in the mountains. Mostly quads and calves. Anything you can do to get into better shape will help but there really isn't anything better than hiking hills with weight. If you don't have any hills in your part of the country I would hike stairs with as much weight as you plan on hunting with.

You don't have to be able to run a marathon, but the better shape your in will allow you to hunt longer and further and with more enjoyment. Any work out plan is better than no plan and the key is consistency and to make you work your heart, lungs and lower half. Intervals do add benefit, in that you can get a solid workout in a short window of time, because as we know time is precious in our lives, so adding interval training once a week is not a bad thing. Due to knee issues myself I live on the treadmill and stairclimber. 72 days and counting...good luck with your continued workouts!

I work out four days a week, mostly cardio and lite weights with lots of reps. This past weekend I went to timberline to scout for the first time this year, and had a 50lb pack on, all I can say is there isn't much that you can do down low to prepare for 11,500 ft. I thought I was in shape, WRONG!!

I live in the western part of west virginia. At about 800 feet. I can't do anything about training in 10,000 feet. The way I see it is I need to be in the best shape I can possibly be in. I run about 100 miles a month and do crossfit 5 times a week. I shoot my bow as often as I can out to 80 yards. I walk three days a week with a 50 pound pack on as well. Do I need to run and do all this other stuff. Yes I think I do. I need to be in the best shape that I can be in. I don't think you can ever be in too good of shape.

Interesting article in Bugle magazine this month about being in shape. In short the guy writing the article was hunting with a guy that did not train or was not fully prepared for the hunt. The one guy could not keep up with the herd and had to let the opportunity pass. Story had a good ending, but it made the point that you need to be in the best shape you can be in to give yourself the best chances. You may walk 100 yards into the woods and get an elk, but you may have to go up and down for many days carrying a pack and bow or rifle.Find a cardio workout that works you to your limit, because the mountains and hunting elk will do the same or you may just get really lucky.

I believe anything you can do to strengthen and increase the endurance of your legs is ideal for elk hunting.  I don't believe you need to run marathons. I hunted two years ago with a guy who did ultra marathons and by the end of the week the mountains beat him up.  You have to have a mindset knowing the mountains are merciless masters. They show no favoritism. At the end conditioning is only a part of the equation.  The final determining factor is mindset.  Failure is not from a lack of strength, nor a lack of conditioning, but rather from a lack of will!  Good hunting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back