Elk mentors.com

trophyhill

Aug 20, 2013
What a great name you guys chose. I\'ve had quite a few elk mentors the last few years including a few on this site whether you know it or not and give them a lot of credit for my quick success and being able to join the 10% club. Keep up the good work and information sharing. It means a lot to guys like me who ask a lot of dumb questions :)

You got a great name too, Elk Junky! :cool:

Great to have you on the boards! Looking forward to your input.

\"elkmtngear\" said:
You got a great name too, Elk Junky! :cool:

Great to have you on the boards! Looking forward to your input.

Why thank you Jeff. I like it better than my other one . It reflects my true passion

I like \"Elk Mentors\" too. It tells people right up front what the forum is all about. I hope it grows and succeeds, and think it will if managed well. Sometimes forums run into problems when different individuals and groups try to move it one way or the other and management is not on board. I think thinks can really deteriorate if management has a hot button that someone posting does not know about.
I come to this forum for three reasons.
#1. is to have fun and share in a campfire type discussion. I enjoy harassing older accomplished hunters like WW. I get a kick out of listening to him when I know his dentures are loose and can\'t keep up with his jaws. I will poke fun at someone like Jeff \"the umbrella man\" just to see if he is paying attention. In a campfire discussion I expect to receive the kind of treatment I dish out. I want everyone to feel comfortable around the campfire and feel free to ask relevant questions. Nothing takes the fun out of a forum quicker than people that have no way to discuss their legitimate concerns. I hope management here never acts in an arbitrary and capricious way depriving sincere people, that are trying to make it better, of a fair, honest, and respectful hearing.
#2. is to learn. All of us are at some point on the learning curve. No one knows it all. Even if we are successful in one area or with one method of hunting, there is always much more to learn. The Apostle Paul reminded his readers that he was a debtor to all kinds of people. You may have never been on an actual elk hunt, but can still have something to contribute. You may have read something somewhere. That one point could be the beginning of a great discussion. As far as I am concerned everyone\'s honest thoughts are worthy of consideration. Sometimes the feedback you receive will help you and others learn that tactic or tool does not work well.
#3. is to mentor others. I want those that mentor to do it in a way that builds up and never tears down. Many folks that hang out on a forum like this are both a mentor and a learner. Let\'s do it with some class. Let\'s recognize we speak from our own experience and that it is not always a universal law of elk hunting. What has worked for me where I hunt may need some adjustment to fit what you are doing at the time you are hunting. :D

\"Swede\" said:
I want those that mentor to do it in a way that builds up and never tears down. Many folks that hang out on a forum like this are both a mentor and a learner. Let\'s do it with some class. Let\'s recognize we speak from our own experience and that it is not always a universal law of elk hunting. What has worked for me where I hunt may need some adjustment to fit what you are doing at the time you are hunting. :D

Though I have a decent number of elk under my belt...I\'m definitely in the \"mentor and learner\" class. One thing I have learned is to always try to preface my postings with \"I would do this\" rather than \"you should do this\".

\"Swede\" said:
I will poke fun at someone like Jeff \"the umbrella man\" just to see if he is paying attention. :D

Swede, I still think if you would have had one of these umbrellas as a child...it would have prevented you from landing on your head so many times jumping off the barn roof! :lolno:

I [we] appreciate the feedback!

We are going to strive to NOT be just an \'Archery Elk\' discussion, but \'ELK\' discussion as a whole.
With a dose of other big game hunting and outdoor topics included.

All conversations are open and can take any turn they need to.

We invite all styles of elk knowledge, from nothing to experienced.
Any question asked should be answered with integrity and thoughtfulness

We welcome and open to all sorts of information that anyone can use to their advantage.
If you happen to see a link of someone calling that you deem useful, by all means post it :)

If you have a question about topo maps, just ask!

We have nothing to hide, nothing to exclude when it comes to hunting.
We are the MENTORS!

I see the campfire is growing. That is a good thing
Please be patient as we continue tweaking [NOT Twerking] the forum to make it easy to navigate and contribute.

And above all, ask those questions, post those pics, lets get the \'campfire\' hot.

Now, if only Swede would stop throwing pine cones in the fire....

Jeff: As a kid, I did not know you are supposed to hold those umbrellas up like Mary Poppins did years later, or like a parachute. I found out too late that you don\'t ride them like a sled. I hope you are sending yours out with instructions. It would sure save a guy a lot of lumps on the head.

\"Elk Junky\" said:
What a great name you guys chose. I\'ve had quite a few elk mentors the last few years including a few on this site whether you know it or not and give them a lot of credit for my quick success and being able to join the 10% club. Keep up the good work and information sharing. It means a lot to guys like me who ask a lot of dumb questions :)

David, great to see you here. wELKome!

\"Swede\" said:
Jeff: As a kid, I did not know you are supposed to hold those umbrellas up like Mary Poppins did years later, or like a parachute. I found out too late that you don\'t ride them like a sled. I hope you are sending yours out with instructions. It would sure save a guy a lot of lumps on the head.

Never tried the sled trick but we all know Swede is a little different :crazy: However I did try the old jump out of the barn loft with an umbrella a couple of times when I was a kid :?: . :wtf: I wonder if Jeff\'s umbrellas are stronger than the ones I used. :?:

Hmm! That makes me think maybe Jeff should send Swede an me each a slip system to do a field durability test on. Whatta ya think Jeff?

Swede pretty much summed it up to the tee. I\'ve lurked on you guys for over a year now and mostly am a silent learner. I\'ve yet to run across a group on the web that has more of a good time chatting up hunting, taking fun pokes at one another and helping total strangers like me along the way.

You guys (and gals) are a ray of sunshine at the end of an overcast day. I already feel like I\'ve got a season under my belt hunting with y\'all. Hope this is just the beginning.....

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
\"Swede\" said:

Never tried the sled trick but we all know Swede is a little different :crazy: However I did try the old jump out of the barn loft with an umbrella a couple of times when I was a kid :?: . :wtf: I wonder if Jeff\'s umbrellas are stronger than the ones I used. :?:

You guys really have the wheels turning now! :crazy:

If I had granchildren...I would probably make a video this weekend! :upthumb:

(and another thread derails...I can tell this is going to be a fun Season here)!

\">>>---WW---->\" said:
Hmm! That makes me think maybe Jeff should send Swede an me each a slip system to do a field durability test on. Whatta ya think Jeff?

I\'d be OK with you Bill, but Swede stirs the pot so much, I\'d be afraid he\'d melt it :lol:

Okay Jeff the umbrella man, I just gotta know something. What happens when a hunter, in a hurry, gets his or her umbrella upside down facing the elk? Does it cause the elk to leave the area believing he just saw an elk with a bad case of rigormortis? Does the hunter hide and spin the umbrella so the fake elk is feet down? Watching, what one thinks is another elk do that, could really scare off any normal elk. What happens if it appears the elk is standing on his head? Does your umbrella come with clear easily seem instructions, or does a hunter have to walk in front to see which way it needs to be turned? Well I guess a person could just use the camo cover and forget all of the other stuff. :crazy:

Jeff, make sure to send a liability waiver to both of those \"old codgers\". I\'m pretty sure Bill has a big old barn with a loft, & we all know how long it takes for them elderly folk to heal up.. :lolno:

I just thought of this... Bill, bring it along on the next trip to Tx. We could use it on that sharp turn off you tried to kill us all on a couple years ago.tie that sucker to the bumper & pitch it out the window. Prolly work like a para shoot on a dragster. Were in Tx Jeff.. Do you make it in red white & blue?

\"Swede\" said:
Okay Jeff the umbrella man, I just gotta know something. What happens when a hunter, in a hurry, gets his or her umbrella upside down facing the elk? Does it cause the elk to leave the area believing he just saw an elk with a bad case of rigormortis? Does the hunter hide and spin the umbrella so the fake elk is feet down? Watching, what one thinks is another elk do that, could really scare off any normal elk. What happens if it appears the elk is standing on his head? Does your umbrella come with clear easily seem instructions, or does a hunter have to walk in front to see which way it needs to be turned? Well I guess a person could just use the camo cover and forget all of the other stuff. :crazy:

Swede, you know how your underwear always has the tag in the back? :eh:

The Slip System, if the cover is installed properly, always has the tag at the bottom inside the umbrella.

Not rocket science, but certainly requires strict concentration when you put the Slipcover on the unit (the logo on the bottom of the cover lines up with the outer logo on the umbrella)

If you can put your underwear on properly, I have faith you can manage this thing! :clap:

\"elkmtngear\" said:
\"Swede\" said:

Swede, you know how your underwear always has the tag in the back? :eh:

The Slip System, if the cover is installed properly, always has the tag at the bottom inside the umbrella.

Not rocket science, but certainly requires strict concentration when you put the Slipcover on the unit (the logo on the bottom of the cover lines up with the outer logo on the umbrella)

If you can put your underwear on properly, I have faith you can manage this thing! :clap:

Look at it this way Swede: if you can\'t figure out the umbrella part, it should at least come in handy as a cane! :lol:

I was just making sure that Jeff wasn\'t slipping one in on us with his Slip System. I don\'t even want to know why Jeff thinks the elk care about the label on my underwear.

Michal Jordens underware doesn\'t have a tag on the back :crazy: At least that is what he says on TV :wtf:

Buglemaster makes a good point. It would make a good drag chute. And Dave if I remember you thanked me for my excellent driving skills on the hairpin curve. Just comes from my old days as a NASCAR driver. :clap:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back