Favorite Cardio Training

frankh_541

Aug 9, 2013
So currently I hike, do the stair master, and get on the spin bike 3x week, what do you feel is the best cardio for the season?????

Starting next week I am going to load up my pack with all of my backpacking gear minus the sleeping bag and food, and hit some steep hills hiking before work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been riding my bike and hiking with 30 lbs of water in my pack. Dump it out when I get to the top to save my knees

I hit the revolving Stairmaster and also throw in a hill climb routine on the treadmill at the gym.  I can get a good burn on the legs and burn about 1000 calories in an hour.  I am usually able to keep the heart rate up between 150 to 175 bpm.  It makes a huge difference when I hit the hills on the weekend.  If I had the luxury  to hit the hills every day I'd probably do that instead.

man i miss read that heading my" favorite cardio" twelve ounce curls a long walk to the fridge for a refill and snack

So far running, but now with huckleberries hitting in my neck of the woods I'll hike with water in jugs for weight on the way up, dump the water and hike down with purple gold.

I like coloelk's water concept....I agree with that! I have found that there is no substitute for real slopes. I like to put 50 pounds in the pack and hit the mountains. For me, its a local ski resort. I hike up the ski runs as it is the only mountains in North central Wisconsin. I usually throw in a good run at least a couple times a week for the lungs and 2 or 3 7-10 mile bike rides weekly also. I'm not sure you can do too much.

The best training for elk hunting is simulating what you'll actually be doing, hiking with weight on your back.  There is no substitute when it comes time to pack out an animal you shot 10 miles from the trailhead.  While cycling, mountain biking, and trail running are great sources of cardio, nothing prepares you like loading you pack and starting up a mountain. 

I read a Cameron Hanes article once that talked about doing his regular 2 mile (or so) trail run route with a 140lb barbell just to see if he could do it!  Beast Mode!!!  While not exactly the same, still pretty relevant.

Big Country said:
The best training for elk hunting is simulating what you'll actually be doing, hiking with weight on your back.  There is no substitute when it comes time to pack out an animal you shot 10 miles from the trailhead.  While cycling, mountain biking, and trail running are great sources of cardio, nothing prepares you like loading you pack and starting up a mountain. 

I read a Cameron Hanes article once that talked about doing his regular 2 mile (or so) trail run route with a 140lb barbell just to see if he could do it!  Beast Mode!!!  While not exactly the same, still pretty relevant.

Cameron is a beast! id love to have that dude around when i am packing out meat lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back