First time Non Resident Montana Elk Hunt

dnieto12

Mar 26, 2020
So i'm currently deployed to Africa with the NM National Guard.  Missed out on all of hunting season last year.  I put my 12 year old son and I in for pretty much everything there is to hunt in NM this year.  I wanna do an elk hunt in montana.  Problem is i've never been to montana and dont know where the first place to put in for hunts.  Any insight on some units to look into would be greatly appreciated.  I can do research from there if I could just get some ideas of where to look.  I'm 33 and in great shape.  I'm in the Infantry and i've been hunting in NM all my life.  I'm willing to trade info for elk hunting in NM if you can get me started on hunting in Montana.  Thanks. 

The general elk tags are good for the whole state.  If you want to hunt one of the limited draw units you would need to apply for a permit to hunt in that unit in addition to getting a general elk tag.  The general elk tag isn't really that hard to get.  They give out 17000 to non-residents tags I think.  It would be hard to get a limited draw permit without points.  With that being said, pretty much all the units in SW Montana are open for the general elk tag.  There are plenty of elk in any of those units and plenty of public land.  There are also a lot of hunters and grizzly bears in some of those units as well.  We seem to be able to consistently find elk but it is getting harder every year to get away from other hunters.  Good luck where ever you choose. 

Thanks for the info.  I ended up getting drawn for a general big game combo in MT so I can't wait to get back.  Hopefully in time to go chase some september bugles.  I did draw deer and elk in NM as well.  Waiting on Colorado results and I can put my game plan together.  Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back