First Timer - Units 44, 45, 444

Rconley374

Apr 20, 2021
Hey guys hope the offseason is treating you well. Been doing a lot of research and learning. I have not been on a backpack hunt yet but my hunting buddy and I are coming to these units this September. I have found some trailheads and places we want to check out in the Holy Cross Wilderness based on maps and such. Anybody with experience in these areas that want to help shorten the learning curve would be greatly appreciated. However, we are prepared to put in the work to hopefully find some elk and if we don't were just excited to be out there!!!!

Archery or Rifle?

That's a tough area for sure, I've spent quite a bit of time in there with mixed results.

Expect a lot of hikers/campers etc. 

I've been in there a fair amount, but never hunted it. I would tell you to consider having some spots to hunt that aren't dependent on trailheads as well. Trailheads are a magnet for hunters these days, and in those areas you get the recreational enthusiasts hitting those trailheads as well, like Noob mentioned.

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/50-decline-in-eagle-county-colorados-elk-population-since-2007.98426/

I don't think the population has improved in the last 3 years.

I've hunted in 444 for nearly 40 years and sad to say last year was the 1st I haven't hunted it since they made it a limited archery draw.  For rifle it's still OTC for bulls which seems like they mainly don't want to lose the revenue.  If they were serious about bringing the numbers up, they'd not have OTC rifle considering the numbers and relative success rates.  I also believe the predators are being way underestimated as we've seen progressively more bear sign and bears the last 5 years than ever before.  Guys I know in the area also say the lion population has exploded so it should take a wildlife biologist too long to figure out that part.  The article referred to previously mentioned creating areas where animals can have more solitude especially in the winter.  So what did Eagle County do last year?  They added 2 new recreational areas outside of Eagle so people can now bike and hike in areas where animals typically winter.  Seems like different gov't agencies just have different priorities and could care less about the wildlife other than to create more avenues and trails for people to get off the beaten path easier!  Probably way more recreationalist here in CO and outnumber hunters so they get the priority unfortunately at the expense of wildlife.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back