Flat Top Wilderness area Colorado

MN Hunter

May 4, 2017
Starting to plan a archery elk trip for 2018 and was thinking about heading into unit 25 in the Flat Top Wilderness Area of Colorado.  Anyone has have an experience with this area.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

I've hunted 25 a few times.

Stump park road (USFS 610) is ROUGH.  City trucks need not apply, a high profile short wheel base vehicle is recommended. I ripped the steps of off my RAM when I drove up to the Derby Creek trail head.  Mostly Rock (not gravel). The USFS categorizes the road as "Rough".

The first thing you need to do is cross the stream about 1/4 mile from the TH.  I think I had three or four crossings in the first 4 miles.

Very elky, actually found some on GE when map scouting.

There are two or three outfitter camps at the 4 or 5 miles from the TH.

I've actually decided to work another wilderness area in the same general area.  Better access and the road usually doesn't try to kill me.

You can also go in by Sweetwater lake.  This road is good to Sweetwater resort.  Or you can get up a bit higher by heading up to Sweetwater cow camp.  That road is pretty good to the NF boundary.

Or you can go up by Deep Lake.  The roads east of there can get a bit squirrelly if it is raining, but the road to Deep Lake is good.  They were grading it when when we went up there in late August.

PM me if you need more info.  I may need to post a few more times before I can respond.

AB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back