Ford Power Stroke ?

WW

Mar 3, 2014
I have a 2004 F250 with a 6.0 powerstroke engine. It often has what many refer to as turbo bark or turbo cough. Other than that, the truck runs good and gets around 21-23 mpg on the hiway with plenty of power. Some say this is fairly common in diesel engines. Personally, I have no idea and would like to hear what some of you diesel orientated guys have to say about it. The truck has only 57,000 miles on it.

I driven diesels for nearly 20 years and can\'t say I ever heard one cough or bark... The do some strange things when the get water if the fuel though... If you haven\'t you might try a good diesel fuel dryer and see If that helps... And if you have a filter drain you might drain a couple of cup fulls of fuel from the filter... I used Power Service and Diesel mechanic in a bottle... Both work well for me in my Cummims engines...

been driving powerstrokes since 05, not sure what you are referring to...... on my way to check it out now

based on whats on the web, the consensus it that the variable vanes are getting sticky from carbon build up. my 03, back in 06, had to have a new turbo put on under warranty because of it. mine was bad enough to set a code..... since then, dealers were told to clean the turbo instead of replacing....

Thanks Gary. That is what I was afraid of. Hope they can just clean instead of replace. It doesn\'t do it all the time, but often enough. Especially when I let off the fuel to shift gears. Otherwise, it runs fine and the fuel mileage hasn\'t been effected. The truck is still like new even though it is an 04 (13 years old) but has only 57,000 miles on it.

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
Only 57K miles? Sounds like it\'s due for another trip to Texas!!! I\'ll start on the chili!!

So where are you moving to in Oklahoma. I\'d think you\'d locate a piggy place there for your old buddies. I mentioned a Texas trip a couple of years ago and Lou was the only one that seemed to have any interest.

plenty of vids on cleaning it. back then, I thought the 6.0 was complicated, that was until I met my 6.4......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back