Frontal shot-results

Army of Dad

May 12, 2018
I?m not sure where exactly to put this so if the Mods want to move go ahead.

Living in Texas has some benefits. While I don?t have tons of public land to hunt on what I do have is usually open to hunting of feral hogs. Much of the public in my area open to hunting is bow only for pigs and thanks to the patchwork of properties I can do it year round if I choose.

Spot and stalk pig hunting is fun, sometimes exciting, and often frustrating. Finding them often involves thick brush and if I were allowed a shotgun I?d stack those tasty invasive critters on much more regular basis.

Now that the basics are covered I?ll get back to Super Bowl Sunday. I finish my loop on this section of land along a lake and come to my final decision. I elect to wait and listen and sure enough after 15 minutes I hear pigs. I move and set up where I might get a shot just to watch them jog through one tiny opening. After another 30 minutes or so of cat and mouse games with fleeting 40 yard shots in the brush I?m presented with an opportunity.

The pigs are working back towards me in a stand of young trees and my only chance is a kneeling shot so I might find some shooting lanes under some of the taller ones. I pass on a couple of chances at quartered on shots when a nice chocolate pig starts to stare me down head on.

I judge this pig around 20 yards (turns out it was probably 18) and think that maybe his face is high enough and I?m low enough to try a frontal shot. It?s a pig, I?ve been looking for a real life volunteer to test my new setup so I decide to send it.

I watch my arrow hit where I intended, and the the fletching fishtail to the right. I?m momentarily puzzled and the wounded boar turns and runs with a decent amount of arrow sticking out of his chest. I figure my arrows a lost cause and hear a snap as he flees into the brush.

After watching him and the others run off to my left and then the other pigs come back left to right, but no chocolate hog with them I?m feeling pretty confident. I find blood almost immediately (a little unusual for hogs) I slowly work the trail on the muddy pig trail. After crawling through the pig tunnel I find him dead 40-50 yards later.

The broad head struck him just left of center on his face, tracked along his cheek and punched through one side of the thick round base of the shoulder blade, broke a rib, made a big cut through the left lung and proceeded to chop suey his liver. The stomach also had a hole in it, but I can?t be certain if that was at impact or after hauling him up for cleaning.

My arrows weigh 475 grains and leave my bow at 256 FPS. I?m using 125 grain Magnus Buzzcuts and I don?t plan on changing anytime soon.
e3762dae9a922fc28810a2f5f9dfb608.jpg
806859b45b23367e6b3290fa0a569d7c.jpg

68d128ae0d95aee5252b423706cbcc8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats.. looks like you shot placement was perfect.

If you make frontal shots you don't have to worry about the shoulder blade. :upthumb:

cohunter14 said:
Congrats! Looks like some good eating right there  :clap:

It will be, I packed out the whole pig so I can do smoked feral pork ribs. I just have to figure out what else I want out of it. I might grind everything but the loins and make some more bratwurst since I?m running low on wild game brats.
2019aa901025da7261f0e723f0263fce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back