Full Draw Time

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
I'm new to archery and am trying to get myself ready to hunt 2013.  I practice at least 1x per week for about an hour.  I also hit the gym trying to get ready.  My question is:  Why can't I hold at full draw for very long?  How can I improve?  Is there a technique that I don't know about?  I've tried reading about this and still do not know what it is. 

I shoot a 2008 XForce at 70#'s  I don't find it hard to draw.  I'm not even sure if its the weight of the bow or the weight of the draw that minimizes my hold time. 

Any ideas?

I would suggest shooting more time per week.  This will help build endurance.  Because now you shoot once a week and there is 6 days of rest between that.  That is too much time off to see any type of improvement.

With seeing this thread after replying to your sight thread this could have a good bit to do with accuracy as well.  In your hour long shooting sessions I would think you shoot fine for the first 15 minutes.  Then your accuracy starts to diminish from there.  Since you are fatigued and struggling to hold steady.

So instead of shooting 1x per week for 60 minutes try shooting 3x per week for 20 minutes.  Focus on form/shot execution and then you can go from there.

Good reply Irked and I agree 100%.  I find if I shoot too long, my accuracy falls off but I usually try to keep shooting a dozen or so more after I start to get shaky to try to build up more endurance.  Kind of the same principals with lifting weights in that you make the most progress after you are fatigued and really push it when you really want to quit!
Another thing you can do, since it sounds like you can't shoot in your yard, is to get a block target and shoot in your basement at close range.  That helps you to focus on form and stamina while not worrying about accuracy!

If you don't yet have a target of your own I would suggest buying one.  You can always shoot inside of your residence.  You don't have to shoot at 20+ yards you can shoot from feet away.  So that when you do make it to your range you will enjoy yourself more. 

You can always build yourself a target if you are so inclined.  Something along the lines of this.  http://archeryreport.com/2011/04/diy-lifetime-archery-target/

Edit:  COLOelkman replied while I was typing my response.

I would suggest maybe turning your bow down to around 60#/65# and working on your fundamentals. Focus on utilizing the push/pull method and squeezing your back muscles when drawing. If you are trying to use your shoulders too much they will begin fatigue and cause your aim to sway and your string to jump out of the valley. Like the gentleman said earlier as well practicing 3 times at 20 minutes will be more productive than once for 60 as well.
Outside of the range you can also work on the muscle groups that you use when shooting. I have found that reverse flies, single arm rows and forward/side shoulder raises are good workouts for shooting. Focus on holding at the peak of each exercise. If you have any questions about these exercises shoot me an email.   

dplumlee12 said:
Probably right, just not that easy getting out to shoot.  City living sucks.

I have a target in my living room so I can shoot inside. even short distance shooting is good to practice form

I practice quite a bit in my house as well. Focus on form and just executing the shot. I would also recommend turning your weight down a bit, you can always turn it back up at a later date.

Boom is right, turn it down a little and try again. If you still have a hard time holding it make sure the draw length is set up correctly for you. Do you feel the wall when you draw (does the string come to a stop or can you still pull it further back)? If you have a shop around go have them check you bow and your technique.

Mountain Bowhunter said:
dplumlee12 said:
Probably right, just not that easy getting out to shoot.  City living sucks.

I have a target in my living room so I can shoot inside. even short distance shooting is good to practice form
I once saw a video of Cameron Hanes shooting a bow in his office ten feet away. Do whatever it takes to shoot more often and you will get stronger. I shot a big bull at 8' and had to hold my bow for about 2 minutes. It's not easy to do but can be done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back