Garden 2019

colorado russ

Aug 10, 2017
Can't believe it's time to get the garden started here in Oklahoma.  Going with the same area as last year - 8' x 40' but due to a new addition to the family, had to build a 2 wire fence this weekend.  He's not real happy!

Got everything rototilled before the weekend then did the fence and raked out a spot for the early crops.

Planted a row of shallots, yellow onions, kale/arugula, romaine/buttercrunch and spinach.  Will plant another row of spinach in 2 weeks to try and extend the harvest.

Next up will be carrots, potatoes, beets and asparagus.  Planted some asparagus last year and will be filling in the remainder this year.  It takes a few seasons before producing good quality and enough to cut and eat.

Hope others have gardens and want to share some tips and pictures through the year.

Attachments

• garden2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • Garden1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Cant wait to see how it plays out this year!
I don't remember if I told you, but I really like salsa ;)

Rub it in Russ :mg:! Kinda hard to do any gardening with 2 ft. of snow on the ground :wtf:

Dan, I was going to bring you some on your OK hunt but......

Bill, a garden in Oklahoma vs snow/mountains in Colorado, not exactly a fair choice!

Derek, I lightly watered the few rows after I planted to help with the seed germination.  I knew we had a few warm days before more crappy weather so not doing any watering now.  Getting some light mist and low temps so letting it be.

It's possible the colder weather may impact a little and if so will just re-sow seeds in the gaps in a couple of weeks.

I was considering on growing some 'Hippie Lettuce' along with my tomatoes this year, but then I found out you cant grow MaryJane if you have a concealed carry permit.

Rules rules :)

I guess it won't be concealed for very long if someone is trying to take your lettuce!  Isn't that like the old western days when you can shoot on sight if stealing your horse?

Oklahoma just passed all the medical marijuana laws last year and got dispensaries popping up everywhere along with LOTS of "patients".  I can guarantee there's some serious lying on the federal background forms because everyone in Oklahoma owns at least 2-3 guns.

cnelk said:
I was considering on growing some 'Hippie Lettuce' along with my tomatoes this year, but then I found out you cant grow MaryJane if you have a concealed carry permit.

Rules rules :)

That?s a strange rule. I can understand you can?t be all smoked up while packing just like with alcohol but don?t understand why you couldn?t grow it. Seems like the rules are always aimed at the law abiding folks.

I second the unfairness of posting your garden pics when were still fighting snow. We have about two feet here in North Idaho and more on the way.

I do have plans for my garden this year including two more raised beds. I grew a few pickling cucumbers last year and the pickles I made lasted two weeks so more of those are my biggest priority.

Ribo, I've got a really good refrigerator pickle recipe that doesn't require canning/hot bathing if interested.  Easily adjusted for pickled jalapenos/onions/carrots or asparagus.

Only drawback is the pickles take longer to 'mature' before eating than ones that are canned but they're more crisp.  Got about 20 quarts from last year that we are just now starting to eat.  Some with a jalapeno, a serrano or habanero just to kick things up a notch.

Make bread and butter pickles too!

P.S. The Dos XX are for guests - real beer is in the other fridge!

Attachments

• pickles.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • pickled jalapenos.jpg
    pickled jalapenos.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • pickled asparagus.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2
colorado russ said:
Ribo, I've got a really good refrigerator pickle recipe that doesn't require canning/hot bathing if interested.  Easily adjusted for pickled jalapenos/onions/carrots or asparagus.

Only drawback is the pickles take longer to 'mature' before eating than ones that are canned but they're more crisp.  Got about 20 quarts from last year that we are just now starting to eat.  Some with a jalapeno, a serrano or habanero just to kick things up a notch.

Make bread and butter pickles too!

P.S. The Dos XX are for guests - real beer is in the other fridge!

Oh man, that looks awesome. Could you PM me some recipe's?

I am interested in the recipe. The recipe I use calls for red pepper flakes that I used but I cut it down from what the recipe calls for. Mine turned out great but I would like to try some others. I will post the recipe I used if I can find it. 

colorado russ said:
Dan, I was going to bring you some on your OK hunt but......

Bill, a garden in Oklahoma vs snow/mountains in Colorado, not exactly a fair choice!

Derek, I lightly watered the few rows after I planted to help with the seed germination.  I knew we had a few warm days before more crappy weather so not doing any watering now.  Getting some light mist and low temps so letting it be.

It's possible the colder weather may impact a little and if so will just re-sow seeds in the gaps in a couple of weeks.

I'll be there a few times this year.... no ifs ands or buts!
I'm drawing a bull tag this year there too :upthumb:

Dan, elk brats with some home made green tomato relish(called chow chow in the south).  Green tomatoes, cabbage, jalapenos, bell peppers, vinegar, a few other spices combined and canned.

I can toss a few recipes you guys way just don't tell my Mom!  Actually, there are a couple of recipes that when I go over to help she already has the spices in the jars so I don't have a clue how much or exactly what!  Says I'll get her recipe book when she can't cook anymore.  :)

Quick update:  All of the lettuce, kale and spinach are up with the second row of spinach just now starting to poke through(planted 2 weeks after first row).

Shallots are doing great and got my first 2 asparagus coming up.

Beets are starting to break through the surface.  Nothing from the carrots yet which I thought should've been showing by now.  Will work on my patience!

Attachments

• lettuce spinach early.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • shallots early.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • first asparagus.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Snowed again last night. Won?t even think about a garden for at least a month. Just part of living in Colorado.

I hear ya Rdub - 20 years there and never had a garden worth a crap!  Would have some great tomatoes then late hail storm would destroy.  Eventually gave up.

Since in OK now, gotta make the best with what I've got.  When it's 104 degrees this summer and you're at 85, it'll be a different tune.

Wife said the asparagus were great!

Got my main garden tilled yesterday and will be constructing a hail screen over it this year

Attachments

• 392A1AB0-149B-40E4-A190-D1487E1D16B0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back