Getting the gardens ready

colorado russ

Aug 10, 2017
Wasn't sure if anyone else here gets obsessed with a garden.  Having lived in CO for the last 25 years, the growing season where we lived was virtually non-existent for vegetables.  Now that we're back in Oklahoma, I'm getting back in the groove and started some raised beds.

I'm going with 6" x 6" x 8' pressure treated landscaping timbers for the sides(2 high) with our fence being the other side(s).  After cutting up the sod, I rototilled it all up and raked out what I could of the grass and leaves.  Then staple up 4 mil black plastic to the expected soil height.  I use 3/8" rebar to help hold the timbers in place plus 10" spikes on the ends.

I've got a small 8' x 8' bed for a couple of blueberry and raspberry bushes.  There are a ton of wild blackberries here so can just go pick when ripe on lots of places.  I got the first row of timbers laid and leveled then drilled 3/8" holes and drove in 2' long rebar.  I put on the second row and drilled and put in rebar.  Stapled up the 4 mil black plastic and ready for soil.

Soil is a sandy loam rich mix blend with compost and manure added.

More pics to come.....

Larger raised bed is 8' by 40' and will contain the veggies.  Early season plantings will be spinach, kale, leaf lettuce, romaine, beets(red and golden), carrots(regular and mixed color) and onions.  Soon to follow Yukon gold and fingerling potatoes.  Later will be okra, green beans, tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos, serranos, poblano, sweet cherry peppers, cucumbers and asparagus.  Sweet potatoes and garlic will be planted in the fall for the following year.  Horseradish will be in external pots outside of garden. 

Got part of it done this weekend.  Still need top layer of timbers and another 7-8 cubic yards of soil.

Looks great! When do you start planting? Any concern for a late season freeze? I remember when I lived in Oklahoma we had a crazy freeze in May.

Spinach, lettuces, kale and onions will be planted within the next 2 weeks.  Not too concerned with a late season freeze although it could happen - those like the cooler weather and will be done in May except for bigger onions.  If I see it coming, I can put straw around whatever is up or just replant since using seed and it's inexpensive.

Left off shallots too - like them much better than regular onions for cooking.

Looks GREAT, Russ!!!!
I cant wait to see what kind of goodies you make with the home grown veggies. If we add a few Oklahoma hogs and whitetail, then you'll never need to shop again.

I've always dreamed of doing my own stuff, but with moving so often it's hard to set up a nice permanent one. That will be the pipe dream once I am done with the military. I'd like a large garden for sure and to start jarring stuff like spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc.

Speaking of salsa... let me know if you make any.... ;)

Please post update pictures as this keeps going and have fun!

Will definitely keep this updated through the season Dan.  Canning is a must do this summer with my Mom.  She cans stewed tomatoes(some with Italian spices, some with Mexican spices), dill and bread & butter pickles, green tomato relish(chow-chow), pickled beets and asparagus, blueberry Chambord jelly, jalapeno jelly, green chile sauce, pickled carrots/onions/jalapenos and........SALSA!!

Stop by my roadside stand when driving from NM to FL!!

Looks awesome Russ! I have wanted to do that forever. I just need to put a plan in place and do it. My biggest concern is the deer, rabbits, and ground squirrels getting into it so I'll need some pretty good fencing.

colorado russ said:
Will definitely keep this updated through the season Dan.  Canning is a must do this summer with my Mom.  She cans stewed tomatoes(some with Italian spices, some with Mexican spices), dill and bread & butter pickles, green tomato relish(chow-chow), pickled beets and asparagus, blueberry Chambord jelly, jalapeno jelly, green chile sauce, pickled carrots/onions/jalapenos and........SALSA!!

Stop by my roadside stand when driving from NM to FL!!

Oh you better believe I will be there!!!!! Please just take all my money because I want all of that haha

Canning is definitely the way to go! I am going to try and can/pickle some northerns this spring.

lvar88 - Alot of canning experience so let me know if you have any questions.

Derek - I started tomatoes and peppers inside when in Colorado Springs but they still never did produce very well!  Never ended up with much due to the weather.

Dan - I didn't want to mention all of the zucchini and yellow squash from my Mom's garden or give you an overload!  Thinks zucchini bread or lemon poppy seed with yellow squash and a scoop of ice cream.  I know this is killing you!!!  :)

Russ are you going to do any bees?

Some nice homemade honey sounds good!
Or some homemade honey wine? :D

Hmmmmm?  Hadn't planned on it Dan but might look into it.  Local honey is good for the allergies so may go down that road instead of making mead. 

colorado russ said:
Hmmmmm?  Hadn't planned on it Dan but might look into it.  Local honey is good for the allergies so may go down that road instead of making mead.
That is something I've always been interested in doing.
I know Gary has bees and he loves them!

the bees have been interesting, with a very sweet reward  ;-) the spring will be my third season, I have six more packages coming in april. if my three survive, I will have 9  :grin:
the wife has been experimenting with all sorts of bee related goodies. honey is very good for baking with! honey toffee's. a sea salt honey pie. and homemade bees wax lip balm.
I haven't perfected my mead skills just yet, this last batch is too yeasty.....
bees are going to be my retirement hobby  :grin:

Weather is finally cooperating so in addition to the kale, lettuce and spinach I was able to get my tomatoes and peppers planted and cages put up around them.  I've got 6' trellis along one fence for the cucumbers to climb.

Picking kale, lettuce, onions and spinach from my garden plus helping my Mom with any extras she may get!

Neighbor has asparagus growing wild in one of his fields so we generally get from them and pickle jars with garlic and jalapenos.  I don't care for asparagus but enjoy growing it and canning for others to enjoy.

Probably won't have anything else ready for picking until the arugula gets a little bigger.  Spinach/kale/lettuce salads 3-4 times a week with steak/chicken/brats/steak/fish/burgers/steak......at least for the next month until it starts slowing down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back