glassing using a zoom camera instead of a spotting scope (pics)

grilla

Jul 7, 2015
I've been looking into buying a decent spotting scope but haven't haven't wanted to shell out the $$$.

Last year I picked up  Panasonic FZ70 with a 60x optical zoom and I'm going to use it for glassing this year. Here are some test shots I took with it. These were taken at 8:45pm. What you see in the view finder in low light is sharper than the pics that are taken.

One pro you get out of using a camera like this is image stabilization. These pics were taken off hand. I think this is a viable option for hunters that don't wanna shell out $400 plus on a decent spotting scope. Plus you get a cool camera out of it!

scroll down to see all the pics 0x, 15x 30x 60x all optical and the last one is 120x digital zoom
What do you guys think?
P1010812_zpsontweq52.jpg

P1010813_zpsiadulxfg.jpg

P1010814_zpsppb44ksb.jpg

P1010815_zpsl3xlw5gz.jpg

P1010816_zpsc69bbldq.jpg

Looks pretty good.  I may have to purchase myself one of those.  I bought myself a Vortex Viper non-HD, it works great but I dont ever use it. Thinking about getting rid of it.

I use a jvc everio with a 70x optical zoom.  Bonus is its tiny and only weighs 8 oz.  Some light makes it tough to see the view finder though at certain times of day.

yeah I was thinking about making something out of cardboard to shade the screen during the day... help make it easier to see

The lenses on good zoom cameras are equally up to the standards of many spotting scopes. I suppose the only consideration between whether or not one uses a camera vs a spotting scope are battery issues. You don't have to power a spotting scope.

I took this pic this past spring with the camera i bought for spotting , pic was taken from apx 1 1/2 miles away

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 6

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back