Good elk hunting frame packs

grayfalcon

May 16, 2020
Anybody have recommendations on elk hunting packs? Looking for something in the 4000-5500 cubic inches size for long trips. Never owned one before, don't really know where to start. Thanks in advance!

I've got a KUIU Pro 5200 that I really like.  Its definitely worth checking out and is reasonably priced considering what is on the market for high quality packs.  All-in with frame and belt and everything I'd expect to pay about $500-$600 for one of these.

Kifaru also has really nice packs that people who have them seem to be absolutely in love with them.  I've never hunted with one but as far as quality and materials used they seem great.  They are definitely pricey though, so prepare yourself for that.

As long as you go with a brand known for quality I think you'd be alright.  Something else worth considering is that some packs fit better on different builds of people.  What works for someone may still work for you but something about the ergonomics of the frame, the pack itself, and overall how it fits and carries may not be the "best" for you.  Try out as many as you can in stores before making your decision.  Hunting for a pack is part of the experience of hunting in general.  Best of luck in your search!

Do you have a budget in mind? In addition to those options, you could look at Mystery Ranch and Exo. If you didn?t want to spend as much, Horn Hunter and Badlands have some decent packs for the money.

Couldn't find the icon pro 5200, but I was looking at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Any opinions on that? Trying not to spend too. much money, but I'll pay for a pack that will last.

"The Huntin Fool" youtube channel has a pack review video that you may want to watch. They test out multiple packs and tell you what they like and don't like.

grayfalcon said:
Couldn't find the icon pro 5200, but I was looking at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Any opinions on that? Trying not to spend too. much money, but I'll pay for a pack that will last.

The Metcalf definitely has a lot of good reviews. I use the same frame as the Metcalf, just with a smaller bag on it, and I've been very happy with it. Unfortunately I can't really compare it to any of the other high-end packs that are out there as I haven't tried them, but I can tell you my Mystery Ranch is much nicer than my old Horn Hunter.
Mystery Ranch also just updated those packs with an even better waist belt and an easier way to open it up to pack meat, which is nice.

The best pack on the planet is the kifaru nomad 2. My crew uses it for hunting and packing meat in one trip. the trick is to buy the deluxe frame for comfort, the camp bag for a large stuffsack, a guide lid, extra buckles that can be placed anywhere on the pack, a grabbit, and a set or two of the locking buckle compression straps. Attach the compression straps to the molle loops on the nomad 2 at the height you want to secure meat. attach the grabbit aproximately 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. attach buckles to the side of the frame for the bottom of the camp bag. attach the camp bag at the top and bottom. when not packing meat, the grabbit attaches directly to the guide lid. when packing meat, the camp bag is turned in the horizontal direction at the top of the pack. the guide lid attaches to the top to the pack and supports the meat. swing in the bat wings and secure. the lid will need to be adjusted to the top of the pack when packing as the camp bag will make it hit you in the head otherwise. My family is handy with sowing machines as we make canvas wall tents for a living, and i made some extra webbing straps to secure my loads in a perfectly vertical position. we talked to kifaru, and they said they had never even thought of the idea, but they were interested to say the least. i can assure you it works. half a bone in whitetail is a dream. I have used multiple packs, and for a long time, i carried an old badlands that is not even made now. what i did was simply buy a cheap frame pack from bimart, and removed the hoop at the top, the meat shelf at the bottom, and adjust the straps to proper height. pack slips over the posts at top, hip belt secures pack at bottom. when it comes time to pack meat, secure meat to frame, shoulder strap of the pack is slung horizontally over posts at top, then rifle sling is placed on post. hands are free to use walking poles( a must have) and breaking branches. (warning to the wise, this load is awkward.) I have used the latter method for years, and after switching to the formerly described method have never been happier or more comfortable at the end of the day for that matter. 4 of the 5 people in my crew are running the kifaru setup with their personal variations of course. we use what works, or we find a better method.

Interesting, looks like an amazing pack but a bit daunting getting all the stuff. Will look into it, thanks!

grayfalcon said:

I didn't realize it but it looks like they've discontinued the 5200.  That sucks because stepping up to the 6000 is a good bit more bag.  I like the 5200 because it strikes a nice balance between the 6000 and 3600 that it looks like they offer now.  Given that, I guess I would say look at the 6000 as the 3600 would be too small for what I use my bag for.  If you're not needing to have a nothing but what you can carry for 4-5 days then the 3600 is probably the better option.  That looks like a good size for shorter 2-3 day hunt in predictable weather.

I use a Kelty REdwing 50.  My son uses a Kelty Redwing 44.  I really like the configuration and price of about $100 +/-. 

other packs may be better, but not for $100.

How has no one said stone glacier yet? Check them out. The new exo k3 4800 looks amazing and has one of the best bag layouts you can get. I just think Stone Glacier has a better frame.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Sold my EXO K2 3500 this spring and bought a Eberlestock F1 Tall. Did some modifications to it, added batwings, scabbard and dry bag. Like that I can tune it for the hunt. Packs well and the Tall model has load lifters that work.

your rocking a system similar to mine! heck of a system once you learn how to distribute your gear from main pocket to batwings! i had a little bit of a learing curve with my kifaru...never realized how sloppy i used to pack lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm leaning towards the kifaru nomad 2, primarily for the versatility.

Tenzing Choice Hunting Daypack
It is also one of the favorite backpacks among hunters. You can use it as the best hunting day pack but bear in mind that it has enough spaces to keep you settled outdoors for three days.  At the same time, do keep in mind that it is wonderfully lightweight ? it weighs only around 3 pounds. That is especially important for hunters to cover long distances during the day. It comes with two horizontal and two vertical straps, as well as compartments for carrying a bow or rifle. The model is firm and durable, features a stylish design, and thus it is possible to use it also as an everyday backpack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back