Got sign

S

Sumtmn86

Okay I'm looking for some advise. This is my first year hunting elk and there isn't anyone I know in my area that hunts the muzzleloader season. I went out to a spot a couple days ago that has some tracks and some poop. The poop was fairly fresh I'd say a couple-a few hours old. This spot has decent grazing and a spring within a few hundred feet of eachother. I stuck around this area for a couple days and didn't see any elk and not sure if I didn't see elk because I missed them or they moved on. Would it be a good idea, to stick with that spot for a couple more days and wait it out or move to a different area that has had elk reported in previous years? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you're seeing a large amount of fresh elk sign (droppings/tracks) in the area, I'd say that you're bound to see the elk at some point if you keep going back. If you've only seen a small amount of sign, then maybe you would be best served to try other areas.

The area where I hunt is literally covered in elk sign. There's no doubt that elk are in the area. But, sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't. If it were easy, there would be a lot more people out there successfully killing elk. The best thing you can do is trust your instincts and put in the time/effort.

It might also be helpful to call the Fish & Game biologist for the area you hunt. I've never done it, but from what I hear, they will gladly point you in the right direction. Maybe they've seen a herd in the area first-hand, or maybe they've had local ranchers complain of depredation, etc. Either way, it couldn't hurt to get their opinion.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of hunting you're doing but I've seen a lot more elk by sitting high and using binoculars, versus walking around "still-hunting."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back