GPS

N8vanvalin

Dec 28, 2012
Hey All,

I am in the market for a handheld GPS. I have been looking at the Garmin 450t, but have no experience with any of these devices. I do a fair amount of back country hunting, but have mainly used topo maps. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Nate

While you're looking--think about the added features of the Garmin Rhino series which have built in radios and a feature which allows you to see where your partner is in relation to your location.--Bill

BIll is right, I have a rhino and the coordination with your hunting partners is awesome, and the radio is great to very clear and good range.

My wonderful wife got me the garmin fenix for Christmas. What a nice watch. I carry my maps; use a compass and confirm once in awhile with a gps

If you use radio's in the field  I would suggest the Rhino. I use mine and love to see my buddies packing radio and gps, I always laugh at them!!!

Got to use the Garmin Rhino this year!  Pretty handy like stated above!  We had to pack out a bull this year that was between two roads and we used the radio feature to figure out which way to carry him out!!

Not to put a wrench in your plans but if you are hunting in more of a remote area you might want to check out the Delorme PN-60W!  With the InReach option, you can email and text home to let someone know if you are OK or need help!!  The only thing I have noticed with the Delorme is they tend to go through the AA batteries!!

Have used a Garmin for years and really can't say I hate them but I just like the Delorme better!!  Good luck with your choice!!!

I have the Delorme PN 60 gps with the SPOT messager as I often hunt alone and it's really great "insurance".  Although it's honestly not as user friendly as Garmins, I decided that it would be a smart thing to have just in case as most times I have no cell coverage.  I've used it to text messages every day and it has never failed.  I may sell it this year to upgrade to the InReach to have 2 way text capability as the SPOT only can send messages. 

I bought the Garmin Oregon 450T last sept. I love it! go to mapsource and upload lots of maps on it Free!

Cant go wrong with one of the Garmin Oregon series or Montana Series.  I personally use the Garmin Oregon 550T and love it.  Its easy to use, handles the elements and has a nice touch screen instead of those small buttons.  I did use a Etrex, dont get me wrong is a good GPS for the limited use but i wont ever go back to it.

COLOelkman said:
I have the Delorme PN 60 gps with the SPOT messager as I often hunt alone and it's really great "insurance".  Although it's honestly not as user friendly as Garmins, I decided that it would be a smart thing to have just in case as most times I have no cell coverage.  I've used it to text messages every day and it has never failed.  I may sell it this year to upgrade to the InReach to have 2 way text capability as the SPOT only can send messages.

I'm glad you mentioned inreach.  I have been considering the spot messenger but I may have to get the InReach.  two way texting and it looks like you can just use your iphone as a gps

I just heard today that you pay a little more for the 450t because it comes with maps.  My friend got one for christmas and purchased it over the 450 model due to maps.  Then he found a site online that he could download all the maps he wanted so he thought he overpaid for the t model for no reason.

I have a 76 cxs and lovit but theres so many new ones out I can't keep up with them. My buddy has the Rhino and its good but I can't say anything about them But Garmin is the best they make!

Anyone with a Android phone should look into Backcountry Navigator.  It is $10 last time I check and it's awesome.  You download the maps to your sd card so you DO NOT need cell service for it to work.  I have 7 gigs of maps on my phone.  It does everything a $500 gps will do and often more.  I've compared it to all my friends GPS's and they all like the app better.  Simply put the phone in airplane mode so it doesn't keep looking for a signal and eating your battery.

HuntinKyhl said:
Anyone with a Android phone should look into Backcountry Navigator.  It is $10 last time I check and it's awesome.  You download the maps to your sd card so you DO NOT need cell service for it to work.  I have 7 gigs of maps on my phone.  It does everything a $500 gps will do and often more.  I've compared it to all my friends GPS's and they all like the app better.  Simply put the phone in airplane mode so it doesn't keep looking for a signal and eating your battery.

wow that is awesome.  do they have anything like that for the iphone?

Mountain Bowhunter said:
HuntinKyhl said:

wow that is awesome.  do they have anything like that for the iphone?

Why would anyone have an Iphone?

Just kidding, but really I don't know.  Also I really don'tknow why anyone would have an Iphone. ;D

Why would anyone have an Iphone?

Just kidding, but really I don't know.  Also I really don't know why anyone would have an Iphone. ;D

haha good one

Nate, there are alot of choices to consider. What ever unit you decide on I would recommend getting involved in Geocaching.com. this is a site that has hide and seek caches to find by using you GPS. This allows me to get very aquainted with my GPS and have a good time too. It is also a great way to get your family involved aswell.
I also recommend getting the most recent technology, IE best antenna and satellite aquiring technology. stay away from older units.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back