Grouping Size

MT_mulies

Dec 28, 2012
Hey guys I was wondering what your allowable grouping size is at certain distances? My general rule is 1 inch grouping out to 60 yards. Then everything after that should be 6 inches or less.
Example
20 yards 2"
40 yards 4"
60 yards 6"
80 yards 6"
ect.
I try to keep all my grouping under 4 inches, but some days I shoot better than others and if my grouping at 60 yards stays at 6" or less Im happy. I don't have a 70 yard pin, but I shoot at 70 yards to make all the other shots easier.

I am pretty much the same as you. But the older I get I'm having a harder time keeping my 60 as tight as I like. I still keep it in a pie plate but my 60 will only be used if a follow up shot presented itself.

I have the same one inch goals as you. But I also don't use that rule of thumb for determining my maximum distance, i.e. a 8" group at 80 yards doesn't tell me I can fling an arrow at an elk at that range.

I prefer to get my groups down to softball size above 50 yards. Anything golf all to baseball size 30-40 and I prefer and hate to do it but Robin Hood some arrows under 30

cohunter14 said:
I have the same one inch goals as you. But I also don't use that rule of thumb for determining my maximum distance, i.e. a 8" group at 80 yards doesn't tell me I can fling an arrow at an elk at that range.

Absolutely. I practice to 80 so I feel comfortable at 40. Reserve 50s and 60s for follow ups only! Just my self imposed restrictions.

20,30,40 I'm solid and have trouble not shooting the fletching off sometimes. 50 it widens to softball size and sixty I'm not as comfortable.

I'm open to suggestions of tightening groups up at longer distances.

Kdkehoe said:
20,30,40 I'm solid and have trouble not shooting the fletching off sometimes. 50 it widens to softball size and sixty I'm not as comfortable.

I'm open to suggestions of tightening groups up at longer distances.

I'm the same exact way as you. 20-40 typically stay the same across the board; tight, consistent groupings.
50 typically ranges from a golf ball to softball sized groupings and stay consistent. 

As far as 60 goes.... I shoot it, but it's not to see my grouping size.  I shoot 60 to build the confidence into my 20-50 yard shots. 
When I hunt elk and mule deer my max range that I'll shoot is 50.
When I hunt whitetail it's 40. 

So to answer your question about 60, if you want to tighten it up, then I'd suggest shooting at further ranges than that to build the confidence. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back