Hot Days and Long Pack Out?

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
What would you do if you didn't think you could pack all the elk out without some of the meat spoiling due to heat?

I would hire a packer to get the meat out thats what I do now, last year it cost $150 and the year before it cost me $100 this in colorado. saves a lot of time

I would be phoning a friend for sure. I would offer them alot of meat or $ to help me get it out. I hate wasted game.

Have a phone list ready........I have many friends that will pack, so I am calling them as soon as I can get cell service and what they pack out they get to keep...do whatever is needed to protect the meat and this is where advance planning and knowing limits come into play....if you are in too far with the weather the way it is, and you cannot get the meat out without spoiling, we owe to the animal to not shoot it. As noted there are some outfitters who will also pack for a fee........

I hear what you guys are saying.  I guess preparations should be made in the case I get too far back.  This year we tracked further and further back into "wilderness" area which makes things complicated.  Can't take anything with wheels in and any horses have to be certified weed free.  I found myself wondering if we could get an animal out before spoiling.  I will definitely have the back up plan in place in the event I draw a tag. 

Got my bull solo last year 5.25 miles in. Got him bones and to the creek by 4pm. Got home at 9pm. Was 90+ degrees out that day.

Went in the next morn with my horse. Got the horse within 1\2 mile and packed him to the horse. Between me and my horse got him out in one trip. Got to the cooler at 5pm.

Butcher said I was within 12 hours of loosing some meat. Without the horse I would have had to call some friends. I hate to call guys to help. I have some great friends that would do it in the drop of a hat. If I start it by myself, I want to finish it myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back