how to almost convert yourself to veganism.

Boom

Aug 6, 2017
i fancy myself a decent home cook.  i wear food adventure like a badge.

this weekend. i wanted to make my own tortillas.  homemade flour tortillas.  i needed lard.  storebought lard?  pffth!  whatever.

i talked to my butcher and he got me some beef fat. i rendered it down Saturday.  it was easy enough, but the smell!!  i did the rendering in the backyard, in my bbq grill.  every jogger that ran by my house said. "oh god, WTF is the smell?"  and ran a little bit faster.  high kicking it down the trail.  i must have gone nose-blind.  i didnt smell it.

waking up this morning, it's all i can smell!!  my face still smells like it.  and i've taken 2-3 showers since them.  i dont think my face actually smells like it..i think it is burned into my face.

i wonder if a Patchouli incense candle will erase the smell-memory? :D  it almost turned me off of meat!!

Cliff, does the beef fat end up like an oil?  I've always used Crisco.  The end result looks good though!  How'd they taste?  Notice any difference and was it worth the effort?

Found some other benefits online in case you don't want to cook with it...

Aside from cooking, tallow can also be used as a skin salve, in the making of candles and soaps, as a leather conditioner,

colorado russ said:
Cliff, does the beef fat end up like an oil?  I've always used Crisco.  The end result looks good though!  How'd they taste?  Notice any difference and was it worth the effort?

it solidifies really easy.  i put it in the fridge and it hardened like a candle. i had to soften it to work it into my flour.

i shallow-fried a fish yesterday and it was ridiculously good. crispy to a whole other level.

the tortillas were delicious, but they honestly tasted the same as the ones i get from a local tortilla factory.  without the epic kitchen mess.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back