Hunt the wallow or call and pursue for a set up?

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
I'm a call and pursue guy, since waiting on the wallow can be really boring if the elk are taking their time or visiting a wallow up the creek. I wanted to also see if anyone has tips for maintaining your patience when sitting and waiting.  I do enjoy reading but sometimes it just doesn't work for me.  What are your tricks?

Never had that issue as being out in nature I find a lot that interests me. Now if you're sitting and cold, that's a totally different story!

If the elk or talking I'm moving.  Have a hard time sitting wallows, but when I do I dream about the big bull about to come in!

I have spent a lot of time in the blind and I do lots of reading and lots of thinking.  I also bring a handheld game or phone with a game.  Great time for me to clear my head and enjoy the fresh air.

I was sitting on some rim rock waiting for sun up in Eastern Oregon for mule deer one time. I was going to sit there for about an hour or so glassing so I could spot and stalk. About a half an hour goes by and I had my phone out taking videos of the scenery and the sunrise. Right after I take the video I review it to check out what it looks like on my phone only to spot something running way out in the video. Turns out it was a real nice 4 point mule deer my dad had kicked up. So I try and stay more focused on the task at hand... putting meat in the freezer  :D

I've tried sitting on a wallow and I have a very hard time doing it. I like to call and pursue. The times I sat and waited, I got extremely bored. Especially when I could hear elk around me.. I wanted to move! I used to sit and chomp ants with my release.. then I changed the type of release I used and now I can't do that... so I guess I will stick to the call and pursue.

I guess I sorta split the middle, I like to pursue early then search out a wallow or seep to sit/sleep/rest/eat during the midday hours. If nothing is seen moving I may stay until dark. If  I hear one or know where some elk have been moving at dark then I will move.

Last year a few guys had seen a decent bull going toa wallow a couple times early in the morning. I did not get to hunt that wallow, but I would have sat on that one if I could have. I did not hunt with those guys so I do not know if they scored on him.

call and puruse is about the only way for me.  I get bored way to quick sitting in one spot.  This is also why i dont hunt from a treestand.

Mid August thru mid Sept if you know a good wallow or water hole you better sit it all day. I don't like sitting anymore than the next person but this has paid off twice for me. Once in Montana and a few years ago in Idaho. If the bulls are talkin I am on the move.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back