I hate wet feet

cnelk

Mar 23, 2017
So I\'m trying something....

I have a partial roll of Tyvek taking up space in my shop.
The characteristics of the material is waterproof, so what better stuff to make some socks?
Well after making a sock, I thought why not some lightweight waders?
I cut out my patterns and used spray contact adhesive on the edges. Pressed them together.
I need to adjust the ankle area on the wader so I can slip these right over my boots for small stream crossings, similar to Wiggys waders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 671
  • image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 670
  • image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 670
If they work you will have some VERY light weight waders. Let us know how the field test goes.

Now that\'s something!

File this under the \"Why didn\'t I think of that?\"-heading.

Couldn\'t you just make \"tubes? (without the \"feet\") so that getting them on and off with boots already on your feet would be easier?

Then some sort of \"cinch\" at the top. Or maybe a strap to tie to a belt.

Should work until you walk on sharp rocks. :lol: I have a bunch of Tyvek also. Been thinking about making a Bivy Sack with some of it. There was a guy on Youtube that made a pretty nice one.

I like the bivy sack Idea. I have some leftover Tyvek. I might have to try that or maybe a nice tarp and put eyelets around the edges every 2 feet.

After some more research I found out that Tyvek likes certain glues and others not so much.
One glue that performs well is hot glue.
That will be used next

Stayed tuned

We have them leftover from construction jobs. I am not sure how much I have. I will check tonight. PM me your size and I will check to see if I have it. I will send you some if I do.

My roll is 3ft wide.
How much do you want for a ground cloth?

I did some more glue testing.
Hot glue seems to work but my glue gun got too hot and the Tyvek melted.
My next sample will be with contact cement as the spray contact adhesive worked
OK for my prototype, but I\'m wanting something a bit more stronger.

Stay tuned

Looking for a piece to go under a sleeping pad. 3\'wide is and awkward dimension. Haha

Lots of waste to get a 22x72 piece.

You guys ever consider sewing together game bags? I have tyvek suits and Iceland used bags madel out of legs and arm sections when I was really broke and cheap.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
Looking for a piece to go under a sleeping pad. 3\'wide is and awkward dimension. Haha

Lots of waste to get a 22x72 piece.

You guys ever consider sewing together game bags? I have tyvek suits and Iceland used bags madel out of legs and arm sections when I was really broke and cheap.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.

Pm me your address and I will get you some. I wouldn\'t use it for a game bag except to wrap it only for the pack out. I had no problem washing blood off of my backpack last time :D I just use game bags and strap it to my pack.

The guy on Youtube used double sided tape to glue his bivy sack together. He claimed it was the best way to glue tyvek.

I got a chance to try out the waders.
I am quite pleased how they work.
Are they perfect? No
Do they work? Yes

I found out the my hot glue gun was too hot and the glue melted the Tyvek.
I used contact adhesive instead.
As you can see in the video below I put some duct tape on the feet to help avoid sharp rocks or sticks in the water.

I will be making another pair but they will be just \'tubes\' and not a foot shape.
I figure for the short amount of time in the water, toe orientation isn\'t needed.
I will also fashion some strap or attachment so I don\'t have to hold them while crossing the stream.
Any input from you guys would be appreciated !

Enjoy this short vid clip
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M0v6lx3124&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://youtu.be/4M0v6lx3124\">http://youtu.be/4M0v6lx3124</a><!-- m -->

Count me as impressed.

Lightweight and affordable ... This should be put in the \"Archived Tips\".

I wonder if you could take some old flip-flops, remove the upper portion, and just glue the sole onto it. It wouldn\'t cost much in terms of weight, but might really \"up\" the durability on the sharp rocks beyond what duct tape does.

Or ... Use one of those cheap seat cushions that people take to sit on for glassing, cut it into a circle for your \"tube\" and do the same thing. Then, you have a dual-purpose tool as you could use it for a seat cushion in wet areas.

Good ideas John -
I just need to walk up and down a stream instead of just crossing to see how they hold up.
Maybe an afternoon of brookie fishing is in store.

If anyone else would want a pair to try, I have enough Tyvek left
Let me know

Looks pretty good Brad! My only concern would be that they sound a little noisy putting them on or taking them off. But if you are in an area where the water is running fairly hard, as it was in your video, the sound shouldn\'t carry too far.

wow. when I first started reading, I Didnt think this would work worth a darn, but they look awesome.

the unit I normally hunt has several creeks about that size I often want to cross, but dont for just that reason.

looks like I have a new project in development.... ;)

I made another pair
This time there is no toe orientation.
I also reinforced the seams with Gorillla Tape.
I will now fashion some sort of strap to tie them up to my belt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 496
\"cnelk\" said:
I will now fashion some sort of strap to tie them up to my belt

this will cause nightmares tonight.....visions of Brad, strutting around in a garter belt with his tyvek leggings. that aint right..... :ill:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back