Idaho Unit 18 Antlerless Elk

NorthwestRob

Jan 28, 2018
My hunting partner and I drew an antlerless elk tag for Idaho unit 18 Hells Canyon. I am a resident of WA and this will be my second year hunting in Idaho but first in unit 18. I grew up hunting roosevelt elk in western washington with a muzzleoader and have just recently (past few years) been following my dreams to hunt elk in and out of state as often as I can to keep the freezer full and experience new adventures.
  We have been E-scouting since the draw notification went out and have planned a 5 day boots on ground scouting trip for later this month. We are considering hunting both the wilderness and non wilderness parts of the unit. We plan to drive the unit for a day to get to know access options and the conditions of the road system, then spend the rest of the scouting trip on foot. We both backpack for recreation outside of the hunting season and are in very good physical condition. With that said, I have seen some of the rugged terrain driving past and don't scoff at the topographic map. I would be extremely grateful if any forum member could answer any of the questions we currently have.
  Does anyone know a packer that operates in the area at the start of October? Are there decent populations of elk within the non wilderness area in October? If so, do the elk tend to drop onto private or move deep into the wilderness down in the breaks when hunting pressure starts? Does the area get much snow during the first few weeks of October?

I am very excited for this opportunity. We have set aside 10 days to hunt and will be there before the season starts. Any information that may help would be greatly appreciated.

If you guys are wanting to cover some ground you might need  some UTV's around that area Gosselaar Powersports in grangeville has some for rent. look them up at www.GosselaarPowersports.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back