Late Season rifle elk question

ltsheets

Aug 4, 2017
So it's looking like I might end up with a 2nd season rifle elk tag for this year in the Gila (21-25 Oct).  I've only had archery hunts down there so far but have done very late archery hunts in 34 (NM) when the bulls are all back in bachelor groups.  The unit I might end up with is a high demand, low pressure type unit.  Couple questions for those of you who have spent time down there late Oct or have hunted elk during that time anywhere...

Is it likely they'll still be talking any during the day or will it only be the occasional bugle?

Are they more likely to be back up high away from the cows or still with the cows?

Thanks.

I have never hunted there, but based on what I've seen over the years of rifle hunting if it's really low pressure then there's a chance they will still be talking. You can still occasionally find a bull with cows that time of year, but many of the bulls will be back on their own.

If it were me, I would still plan on trying some location bugles and even some cow talk, but my main method would be spot and stalk. Get up high with some good glass and spot them, then go after them. A spotting scope could certainly come in handy with a unit as good as the Gila.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips!

My plan was to get high and glass burns at the beginning of the hunt.  I'm taking 10s, 15s, and a spotter with me though won't carry them all at once.  When I'm hiking in to one of my spots up high, i'll probably just take my 15s and a light tripod.  If I end up covering ground in my truck and glassing far off areas, I'll have my spotter ready to go. 

I really hope they are still bugling just enough for them to respond to a location bugle.  That would help a ton!

ltsheets said:
Thanks for the tips!

My plan was to get high and glass burns at the beginning of the hunt.  I'm taking 10s, 15s, and a spotter with me though won't carry them all at once.  When I'm hiking in to one of my spots up high, i'll probably just take my 15s and a light tripod.  If I end up covering ground in my truck and glassing far off areas, I'll have my spotter ready to go. 

I really hope they are still bugling just enough for them to respond to a location bugle.  That would help a ton!

Sounds like a great plan to me! The only reason I would consider the spotter more often is to check trophy quality if that is of concern to you. I assume with a hunt in the Gila you are going to be a little picky? If so, sometimes binocs can only show that it's a bull where the spotter can tell you more and if it's worth going after one that's a ways out there.

You are correct.  I have a 305" archery bull on my wall from the same unit a couple years ago.  This will be a 5 day hunt.  I'm shooting for either 340+ or a bull with awesome character for the first 4 days.  The last day I'd shoot any bull to make sure I put meat in the freezer.  Every time I've archery hunted the unit I've seen 340+ bulls so I'm hoping I can keep that trend alive.

If I had that tag, I would hike in a few gallons of water before the season to the spot you are talking about. Then be there first thing on opening day, and spend every second of everyday on that spot. No need to over think it.

Also, don't pass anything on the first day that you would shoot on the last day.

You'll probably hear some bugles. Could try a locator bugle in the dark. But a bit late for bugling them in,IMHO. You could get them coming to a estrus cow call.
Very green & wet right now down there. Look for a water source near a secluded E & N face in a canyon. They will need water,feed & cover. Lots of burns & blow downs to hide in.

My experience this time of year has been bugling doesn't do much. You might hear sporadic bugling but bulls haven't responded to me or other bulls bugling.

Cow estrus on the other hand can be effective. I personally know of bulls responding and being cow-called in during Colorado's 4th rifle.

My experience in MT for late season rifle usually consists of classing intensely and trying to put myself in between the group and their winter range. I understand it's way different in NM.  They usually "herd" back up and we will find cows and bulls in much larger groups but further in between animals, not as tight a herd. Smaller groups making up one larger group spread out. That is in December-Jan during our shoulder hunt/controlled hunts.  Here in MT they begin Aug 15-Jan15 some even into February depending on the area

Thanks everyone.  I think after a lot of thinking about it, assuming I get the tag, I'm going to drive down at least 2 days early so I have a full day to glass a couple different spots.  I'm hoping to find a bull worth going after opening morning by glassing the previous night.  Here's to hoping!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back